Carton method of turning eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Posting this pic for KLF73.

[​IMG][/img]

Can you tell that they are at about a 45 degree angle? You have to make sure the eggs all turn as well as the carton.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2008
  2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Thanks! I am just trying to get a faster way to turn my eggs so my bator is open less time. Turning 12 at a time will definitely save time. Always willing to try something new [​IMG]
    Thanks again
    Krista

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Your eggs look good. Good idea about how to turn eggs faster.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    This is a very small bator. I made it just for eggs to incubate days 1 - 17. On day 18 I transfer them to my hatching bator which I made from a 48 quart Rubbermaid cooler. Lots more room. I even have a second shelf in it in case I need the room.

5. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    I must be having a blonde moment. :/Do you rotate the egg cartoons to turn the eggs? I know that you can't turn them upside down because they would fall out.

6. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Quote:Think about this..In the natural way of hatching chicks, the hen gets off the nest at least once a day to poop, get a drink of water, and eat. This takes probably 15 or 20 minutes. The eggs are not covered at this time. And, according to "How to Raise Chickens," it may help to let them cool down a bit every day. I've done it both ways, cool down, no cool down. In my opinion, no difference. Oh, by the way, I have 4 new silkie chicks, hatched last nite and today. 4 out of 6, so far..

7. ezbird

ezbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    I have 4 new silkie chicks, hatched last nite and today. 4 out of 6, so far..

Congrats on the new chicks.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by