Caruncles on back of neck?

ruthhope

Free Ranging
Aug 16, 2021
St Augustine, FL
I have an all male flock, mainly muscovy drakes and a little crested pekin that thinks he's a muscovy.

The muscovy drakes get on ok, with only occasional bickering, and I am not sure who is "top duck" . The daft little pekin thinks he is top duck, but that's another story and he is certainly not top of the pecking order.

One of the boys, a white muscovy, has had disagreements with one of the others but no major fights or upsets that I have sern or heard, and they all hang out together in the back garden.

I was surprised that the white muscovy has increasingly obvious bare red patches on his neck. Surprised as in the bickering I have seen, he is the aggressor. Today, I found that another drake has a small red place on the back of his neck: when I examined it, it was not a wound where feathers had been pulled out. It was a very healthy looking caruncle. So I caught the white muscovy who isn't fond of being handled, and took a good look at him. He too doesn't have bald patches from feathers being pulled out . He has lots of very healthy looking carruncles on the back of his neck.

Are back of neck carruncles common? Normal?

I have an all male flock, mainly muscovy drakes and a little crested pekin that thinks he's a muscovy.

The muscovy drakes get on ok, with only occasional bickering, and I am not sure who is "top duck" . The daft little pekin thinks he is top duck, but that's another story and he is certainly not top of the pecking order.

One of the boys, a white muscovy, has had disagreements with one of the others but no major fights or upsets that I have sern or heard, and they all hang out together in the back garden.

I was surprised that the white muscovy has increasingly obvious bare red patches on his neck. Surprised as in the bickering I have seen, he is the aggressor. Today, I found that another drake has a small red place on the back of his neck: when I examined it, it was not a wound where feathers had been pulled out. It was a very healthy looking caruncle. So I caught the white muscovy who isn't fond of being handled, and took a good look at him. He too doesn't have bald patches from feathers being pulled out . He has lots of very healthy looking carruncles on the back of his neck.

I obviously have no experience with muscovies, my girlies dont have carruncles lol
But could you get a photo?
I've never heard of that before!

I obviously have no experience with muscovies, my girlies dont have carruncles lol
But could you get a photo?
I've never heard of that before!
My Muscovy drake has them too. My husband actually pointed them out to me today. [of course I knew they were there already ] It's normal.
Well Daffy was not going to cooperate with a photo and I don't have three hands. This photo plus a video of me struggling with one hand to get him to put his head down is the best I can do. Definitely a carruncle on the back of his neck.

Butter, I didn't try and hold to get a photo. He's not a cuddly boy and has only been with me for 3 months. We are still building our relationship. His carruncles are in a V from the corners of his facial carruncles, and in a second V about 2 inches lower down his neck. I couldn't work out who could have pulled all those feathers out of that boy. He is big,
20230318_184121.jpg
young and far more confrontational than Daffy. I'm glad to know they are carruncles not scars of war!!!
20230318_184140.jpg

I believe it is normal. All my males had them.

Back
Top Bottom