Case of the missing chicks

Tooleman

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2017
Last night we lost 40 baby chicks. Like all 40 are gone, these chicks were only about 1 week old. They disappeared, no feathers, body parts, nothing. I looked around the coop we keep them in and I didn't see any signs of entry or traces of them. Has anyone experienced anything like this? We are in central Indiana

Last edited:
Sounds like a human to me. It's too many for a snake, canines like fox, dog, or coyote can take them without a trace but that's still a lot plus no sign of entry. Not sure where you are located so maybe other predators to consider but my guess is human.

Never thought about humans... although we have been raising chickens for about 3 years and have never had any problems to this magnitude. Sure we have lost a few chickens to the normal problems, but nothing like this.

Every once in awhile the predator is human. Depends on how likely your coop/barn are likely to be breached. Locks where they were kept? Near to other humans that could easily enter and leave off a common path/road? Hope you figure it out!

Are there rats in your barn?
How about feral cats, or barn cats?
The place where the chicks were kept, was it a full cage, or a stall with no top?
More info please or a couple pictures would help us figure this out.
So sorry for your loss.
There are multiple critters that prey on your flock at every stage and age of your chickens life.
Its a constant battle.

I have game cameras too. I was surprised at the predators that lurk at night.
A chick/grow-out coop.
DSCF0002124 05.jpg

Back
Top Bottom