Cashews? Are they safe for my chickens?

White Wolf Bear

Chirping
Dec 15, 2019
Lisbon Falls, Maine
I feed my chickens a variety of table scraps (essentially anything we eat, minus fats) almost every day. I feed grain and mash in the morning, and a batch of veggie clippings, skins, leftovers, etc. in the afternoon, after all their grain is gone. There are a few foods I know they aren’t supposed to eat, and I avoid them, but I’m not sure about cashews, and everyone I’ve asked doesn’t know. I got a big bag of them that got left out and got stale, and I’d like to throw them in with their food.

Attachments

• D737AB50-ABE4-4899-BDFE-C4690C6AEB67.jpeg
    D737AB50-ABE4-4899-BDFE-C4690C6AEB67.jpeg
    895.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 7849BD74-865C-4ACE-93A6-5136DBB34178.jpeg
    7849BD74-865C-4ACE-93A6-5136DBB34178.jpeg
    643.1 KB · Views: 10
I feed my chickens a variety of table scraps (essentially anything we eat, minus fats) almost every day. I feed grain and mash in the morning, and a batch of veggie clippings, skins, leftovers, etc. in the afternoon, after all their grain is gone. There are a few foods I know they aren’t supposed to eat, and I avoid them, but I’m not sure about cashews, and everyone I’ve asked doesn’t know. I got a big bag of them that got left out and got stale, and I’d like to throw them in with their food.
I would feed them in moderation.
I would also recommend you supplement the kitchen scraps with meat scraps or invest in some food grade fish meal to up the protein.

I would feed them in moderation.
I would also recommend you supplement the kitchen scraps with meat scraps or invest in some food grade fish meal to up the protein.
I do give the fish, chicken, turkey, and lean beef. Essentially anything we eat, they eat (minus pork and fatty foods). I also mentioned, perhaps you missed it, that they get a nice high quality meal, mash, or grain, before getting scraps, and they only get the scraps, when the grain feed is all eaten already. I also bake the egg shells (from their eggs, after we’ve eaten them) and grind them up and add to their food also, in addition to cooked eggs.

As long as they are unsalted and chopped, they're fine in moderation.

Back
Top Bottom