Castrate a rooster so he can stay as a pet?

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi all, a cockerel showed up at my property a few months ago, 'asking' to stay. He integrated pretty quickly with my flock, particularly with my Brahma pullets and roo. He is average in size, and looks to be Barred Rock - Easter Egger mix. He's not really bothering anyone, and exhibits a lot of joy (taking naps in the sun, etc.), but his genetics are not exactly what I am looking for in my flock. I feel it would be disrespectful to butcher him after letting him into my coop. Would it make sense to castrate him and keep him as a pet? A vet visit would probably cost $200, which is a lot considering.

Would it make sense to castrate him and keep him as a pet? A vet visit would probably cost $200, which is a lot considering.
You could ask your vet. If the vet will not do the operation, you don't really have a choice.

Castrating a rooster is much more dangerous than castrating a dog or cat or bull or stallion. One difference is that a rooster has his testicles inside the main body cavity, not outside where they are easy to remove. So castrating a rooster is much more serious surgery.

Also, birds need some amount of special consideration when a vet uses anesthesia (different than mammals, and not as well studied.) So putting him to sleep during the operation is more dangerous, in addition to the danger of the rest of the operation.

If you don’t want to breed him it would probably cost less to just separate him with a few hens that you also don’t want to breed.
^ I agree with this.

Caponizing male chickens is done at a very young age when the testicles are still small.

A mature cockerel's testicles are huge -- almost the size of his head -- and the surgery would be very dangerous.

If he's a real sweetheart and you want to keep him you could give him a little flock of his own separate from the breeders. :)

Back
Top Bottom