Castrated roaster

Afika

Hatching
Sep 2, 2019
Hi everyone We had one of our young cockles castrated now 4 months later his Mating and crowing.Now my question is will his offspring be affected by this is his going to father any ?

Welcome! He's a bit too old to caponize now; it gets riskier as they mature. And there are few people who do the surgery anywhere. An avian veterinarian might consider it, if one is available.
Traditionally, young cockerels were caponized by flock owners because the birds grew larger for the meat market, and were sold at a premium.
It's abdominal surgery, and again, traditionally, was done without anesthesia or any pain meds. Not so nice!
Because of the chicken's anatomy, it's a risky procedure unless done by an experienced person; many birds die otherwise!
Mary

Welcome to BYC Afika
I think they had him caponized 4 months ago and he's now started crowing and trying to mate as he's grown and matured. Sorry don't know anything about it but pretty good with figuring out whats trying to be said lol

His question is as it was caponized and the behavior is he going to end up for some reason fathering or have some ill effect if he does somehow fertilize and egg, or is this just normal behavior

:welcome It sounds as if some testicular tissue was not removed. If he was indeed caponized it is doubtful that enough gonad remains to produce sperm to fertilize eggs. Sounds as if the vet should refund your fee.

Sourland is probably way more knowledgeable about this than I am. Perhaps the only way to know for certain would be to try to hatch a few of this (rooster/capon)'s eggs.

The question that I have to ask is : why did you have him caponized if you wanted to hatch eggs ?
they didn't want to hatch eggs but as caponized rooster going through the motions of mating and crowing, they are wondering if it didn't work or something is my best guess

Hi everyone We had one of our young cockles castrated now 4 months later his Mating and crowing.Now my question is will his offspring be affected by this is his going to father any ?
How old was bird when it was castrated?
Who preformed the castration(caponization)?
Umm....if you castrate a cockerel, he won't be having any offspring.

Oh, and Welcome to BYC! @Afika
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-3_9-9-13.png

Back
Top Bottom