1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cat advice needed

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gakwhite, Sep 15, 2013.

1. gakwhite

gakwhite New Egg

Sep 12, 2013
    We have a cat that's 12 years old and he has a huge growth between his nose and mouth. I've asked my vets assistant about it and she seems to think we should leave the growth alone if its not bothering him. The growth started out and I really just thought it was a mole that just popped up. Then each week it grew in size. I'm afraid it might actually be cancer and in fear it will spread if he has surgery. Has anyone seen or had to deal with anything like this? He's always been healthy and he is an indoor/outdoor kitty. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Maybe a second opinion?

3. gakwhite

gakwhite New Egg

Sep 12, 2013
    Kinda what I was thinking. I'm gonna take him to the vet next week. Just curious if anyone has ever seen anything like it. It's crazy looking. I guess I'm afraid of hearing it could be cancer. [​IMG]

4. glendaschicks

glendaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2013
    I've never seen anything like it, and I have had cats all of my life. I hope it turns out OK.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't know much about cats but if he doesn't have surgery or radiation or chemo if cancer, it's going to grow so large he won't be able to eat

6. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I was curious as to why you asked the vets' assistant & not the vet? Anyway, it looks like it has a huge blood supply to it, so if it gets whacked or nicked, it will make a heck of a mess not to mention weaken the cat & possibly let infection in. Even if it is cancer, it may well be contained within a cell capsule and easily excised. Fingers crossed, prayers sent up for you both, keep us posted. Sue

7. gakwhite

gakwhite New Egg

Sep 12, 2013
    I should have waited and asked the vet. Idk what I was thinking to be honest. :/ Hopefully we will get everything taken care of this week. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the prayers and concern. I'll keep y'all posted[​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

9. gakwhite

gakwhite New Egg

Sep 12, 2013
    Flash (the cat) has surgery tomorrow. Still not sure what it is so a biopsy will be done. Will keep y'all posted.

10. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Good luck to your kitty. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by