Cat + Brooder

DownriverGarden

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2015
Downriver Detroit
We've got 2-day old chicks in a brooder in our house. The door where we keep them has a deceptive latch, and as a result the cat got in, grabbed one, and brought it out to the living room. He's got a little bit of a wound on his back (but the other chicks aren't pecking at him) and one of his legs is just limp.

Will it heal? Would it be best to end it mercifully now? This is our first batch of chicks, so I suppose that we're going to have to get thicker skins, but it's kind of heartbreaking.

I have a lot of cats and they have gotten into my aviary several times. One of my quail got its back and belly ripped open and another got its throat bitten along with about 5 other incidents where a quails back or belly was bitten, but all these quail have survived. I say give him some time to heal. It might not be a good idea keeping him with all the others though. Quail usually peck each other at the sight of blood or they will just keep him/her away from the water and food. I say get another box and put him/her in it and wait it out. From my experience quail are pretty strong so give him a chance! :D Good luck with your new quail. Keep us posted!

Thank you!! The chick's not really walking, but he can kind of scoot along on his belly (and he's doing better today than yesterday) so I'm hoping he'll get better. I can't tell if he's eating or drinking though.

Back
Top Bottom