Cat Food For Chickens

I have a quick question:

One of my young roo's got into some dry cat food. I don't believe he ate a lot, but he died recently. Could this have anything to do with his death?

Thanks.

I would think that it could had since his immune system were not quite up to par depending on what you consider young. Cat nor dog food digest properly in any bird! Their system is not as hardy as those 4 legged cats and dogs. Did you take him in for a post mortem?

ddawn,
If you are concerned about Methionine I would say that there is not much you are going to feed you chickens that doesn't contain Methionine.
Here is a quick list of common foods/ treats that people give the chickens that is high in Methionine:

· Cottage cheese (dry) 1,200 mg/cup

· Cottage cheese (crmd) 854 mg/cup

· Fish & other seafoods 2,000-3,500 mg/lb

· Meats 750-2,500 mg/lb · Poultry 1,500-2,000 mg/lb

· Peanuts, roasted w skin 640 mg/cup

· Sesame seeds 1,400 mg/cup · Dry, whole lentils 350 mg/cup

· Eggs 2 g to 3 g of methionine in every 100 g of eggs, making the food among the highest of natural sources for methionine

· All poultry ranges from 1.5 g to 2 g of methionine per pound of meat, which is higher than beef products, but still less than most fish and seafood products.

Chris

All poultry ranges from 1.5 g to 2 g of methionine per pound of meat

2 grams is what they had to force feed the cats to cause harmful effects.

Maybe better advice is don't feed your chickens to your cat
wink.png

I don't think that it's so much the Methionine nor the ingredients! If not mistaken I think it's due to their digestive tracts, cats have stomachs same as we do, their digestive systems are different ie: bacteria and germs- how it's broken down, while chickens have crops same as most all birds and most of all it's the way their bodies break it down, their bacteria and germs that they're equipped with and so forth.

It'd be like giving a cat an aspirin to me, I've always heard that aspirins would kill cats verses dogs that sometimes get them everyday of their lives. It's their systems and how it's broken down through out, bacteria and so forth. What organs can and can't handle!

Most of all it's what and how each of us have become educated pertaining to this sorts of topics. I'd prefer not to give my chickens anything else that is manufactured in this country outside of their natural grains while fruits and veggies are grown from mother earth in which is natural verses man made.

Per say a dogs bite verses a cats, cats are loaded with different bacteria and can cause an infection, same as their claws while a dogs is not as severe.

I suppose if cat food were healthy for chickens, then their grains would not be so readily available and contain mounds of corn and soy based products. Typically do we know what each and every ingredient is that makes cat, dog, chickens, goats and so on foods? Not guite, it could be code names and words for manufacturers while knowing that it has ground up body parts from all or most all other animals, the cans do not mention this!!

It'd be like fish that contains lots of omega3's in which we all need, chickens included that is healthy for them, cats, dogs and so forth, however cats, dogs and other animals are required to get a certain amount of each. It varies! Why if cat food in which contains a different mg is good for them?

This person can get by with feeding their chickens cat food while you, I or another might not be able to do such since it could possibly kill them. Maybe I'm not explaining myself well enough for you to understand my points here lol.

I'd enjoy getting in touch with a few different resarch centers books on animal feeds in order to compare them.

I would'nt feed chicikens cat food based soley on the price. Ya know, chicken feed is well, ya know, chicken feed.

Treats is one thing, actually feeding higher priced foods is quite another. And contrary to most pet owners, treats should never be more than 10% of diet. This basic rule follows true with humans too though many don't follow it there either
idunno.gif

I just stumbled over this thread again, having failed to subscribe to it when I posted originally.

I relied on dlhunicorn for my information, and am not interested enough in this whole field to have done much research myself. She/he has done it for me, and has an extensive website loaded with chicken info (link below.) A good deal of it is nutritional info. She used to post regularly on here; I am disappointed to see she no longer does.

http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi

It is a simple matter to register, giving you full access to the website, which doesn't bring a bit of spam into your email, I learned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom