Cat has rabies???

Quote:
What he said.

Seriously, the difference between needing the shot every year and every 3 years (because it's the exact same vaccine) is the regulations in your state and how much money they want to make off the licensing fees.
Titer tests show that your pet is basically protected for life, unless they have an unusually long life span or poor immune system.

It's probably a neck abscess and a nasty infection. And I've never known any animal with a fever to want to drink. My kitten is just getting over an ear infection and I had to soak her food in milk and water 50/50 to get her to drink anything.
Not wanting to drink water is NOT a sign of rabies.

You mean that rabies vaccinations are good for once in a lifetime??????

I can picture how our city would love to have MORE money on vaccinations. Required to have a yearly rabies booster for dogs and cats.

Quote:
In essence, that is correct. Once immunity is built, (just like the shots we all received as a child) due to introduction of small doses of an offending virus, the body is likely to be able to fight off said disease succesfully in the future. Due to the (deadly) nature of rabies, a series of shots over 3 consequetive years is given to assure activation of immune system. After such regimen, once every 3 years is perfectly legal in many states. Cities can indeed impose their own ordenances. The law here is that an animal that was never vaccinated will be euthanised upon contact with a rabit animal. An animal that was ever vaccinated, will be quarantened for I believe 10 days, so observe the possible onset of rabit behavior.

I am not at all convinced that the OP's cat is rabit, but do second the motion that a vet should be consulted, if only because all the other animals on the premises would be in grave danger as well, should the cat be rabid (and the other animals unprotected) Maybe grandma's advice to deny ownership of the cat was inspired by that. But than again. If you say you found a rabit cat in your yard, you would still be up that proverbial creek, if your other critters are not vaccinated. Since I am sure you do not want to die yourself though, in the unlikely event that this was indeed rabies, I do still urge for action. Your and your families lives are much more important than any of our loved pets. (though when you have to face hard facts, it might not at all feel that way)

Quote:
No, They don't.
Because of numerological symptoms of the disease, they are unable to drink, even when they are literally dying of thirst. So you get an insane (neurological disease) animal that stays near water.

That they don't want to drink, is NOT a symptom of rabies.
That they back away from water shoved in their faces is NOT a symptom of rabies.
It is how they tell you that they don't feel good, that their bodies are telling them they don't want to use any resources to digest, they need all their bodies resources to heal.

And to answer EweSheep, when titer tests (the tests that see if the antibodies are still active) were run, the vast majority of animals have immunity for life. In a few animals, the immunity began to run down after 9 years. In a percentage (but not all) of animals that were known at the time of the shot to have weak immune systems (because of other disease) titer levels began to drop (not disappear) after 5 years.
So vets recommend a shot every 3 years to stay on the safe side.

animal and human rabies victims can be terrified by the sight of water

Rabies patients and animals become scared of water because of painful spasms in their throat

Rabid animals may become hydrophobic (afraid of water

Sometimes called hydrophobia, or fear of water, rabies has afflicted animals and humans since ancient times

Infected animal or person may become terrified of water

Yes, they do.
smile.png

Huh, odd, I heard it was the other way around... that an animal with rabies can't get enough water but will refuse food.

The first thing I thought of when I read the OP post was that movie I Am Legend, the scene where his dog contracted the disease. That seriously made me cry. I imagine your cat looks the same way his dog did in that movie.

Good heavens, we have an OP getting all his/her exercise by leaping to conclusions and a crowd jumping on the bandwagon in a panic.

The cat most likely has an abcessed wound that needs treatment immediately because it has been let go way too long. Get the cat to a vet or continue to watch it die.

former vet asst. here

Back
Top Bottom