1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cat left me with field mouse. ALIVE!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by GD91, Jan 20, 2014.

1. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    I will start by saying my cat is an excellent mouser. In fact he is so good, he has become the heaviest cat I have ever owned since we got the chickens, rabbits & quail. We have plenty of mice & long story short, He is getting fat! We stopped feeding him & he still hasn't lost any weight. Putting food down is a waste of time since he is full.

Obviously full on mice he brought this young (about 7-8 weeks) male field mouse into our flat & left it on the kitchen floor in shock stumbling about. Needless to say, it had a lucky escape because I nearly trod on it on my way to the kettle.

I bent down & scruffed it & put it in a bucket with some rabbit food & some loo roll. Its now snuggled down under the loo roll & has perked up.

Now I don't know whether to collect a mouse cage for it or stick it back outside. I don't want to give it the cat since he's never really hungry & will just toss it about for ages causing needless suffering. We don't have any snap traps or anything since we don't like trapping mice to kill.
    I also don't want it back in the garden, breeding & eating the animal feed (which we keep in the flat anyway to stop mice helping themselves).

Before anyone says shoot it, I would but its illegal to have guns. Really all I could do is drown it, but I don't do that to our animals & I don't see why a wild animal should suffer any different. [​IMG]

I'm also in a town with nowhere to release this poor guy without him causing problems. Also I think it would just get eaten. Also the temps here are currently below freezing.

I've raised baby field mice for release before, but I know they need a tank with lots of hay & privacy.

I don't mind it as a pet, but what about disease?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. NinjaRooster

NinjaRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2013
    The Corner
    Lucky you, our cats just look at mice and say "No thanks human, I'm sleeping, you get it."

If it were me, I would dispose of it. I'm not sure how, but I would find a way. (decapitation?) [​IMG]

Anyway, good luck.

3. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Well, its taking a turn for the worst so let nature decide [​IMG]I picked it up & it was very cold, but still alive.... it was running around an hour ago, now its off its feet. I've given it some sugar water & put it in one of the incubators, if it dies from shock at least it dies warm. Poor mite.

Update: Just checked & its dead. Gave it the cat & he's eaten it [​IMG] he will be forever fat.

I'm too soft, thats my trouble [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Feed it to the chooks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by