Cat Litter in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Irrintzina, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Irrintzina

Irrintzina Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    I have a chicken tractor with 3 hens. The roost area has a sliding drawer that pulls out of the coop for cleaning.
    I am wondering if it is ok to put cat litter in the bottom of this drawer and then cover the litter with pine shavings. I clean the droppings every day.
    Is the litter a bad idea?

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Is it the plain old cheap cat litter? I don't know for sure, but I would be worried about some of the newer stuff with chemicals in it that the chickens might ingest. If it was the clay cat litter I wouldnt think it was a bad idea, but I'm sure someone with more 'chicken sense' than I will chime in & set us both straight!

3. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
  4. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    easiest thing to do is forget litter & shavings, put linoleum in drawer. Once a day use putty knife or something similar and just scrape into compost heap or bucket.

5. Irrintzina

Irrintzina Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    I am using the old cheap clay litter.
    Thanks for the input, I think I will find another option just in case. [​IMG]

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Why not just use shavings? It will work as well. And be simpler (don't have to deal with a whole nother separate material).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by