Cat people... Why did this work??

bossynbella

Songster
12 Years
Aug 11, 2007
Iowa
I have a 15 year old tonkanese cat. She has ALWAYS (well at least as long as I can remember) had some major issues with puking. My sister had her half brother and he had the same issues. We have tried everything from sensitive foods, hairball control, hairball medicine. The vet said he doesn't think it has anything to do with hairballs. I had finally just decided to deal with it. Then I went to Pets-mart. I was finally able to switch all our animals to blue buffalo, both the dogs and the cats. I couldn't decide on a formula for the cats so I asked them to send someone over. The guy was very friendly and said he didn't think I needed to try the sensitive one ( I had it then put it back because I wanted something other then Chicken as the main ingredient) so I went with the fish formula as I feed the dogs the fish and sweet potato formula. I mentioned how annoying it is that my cat will eat walk into the living room and puke it back up. He asked if I had tried raising the bowl. I hadn't. He said he had the same problem and someone suggested it to him and it worked. Well it works. I have been raising her bowl every day. She has only puked once, and then it wasn't much. I forgot today, well actually one of my other cats took her spot and she took its spot and she ended up throwing up three times so far.

I am really glad this works, but why? Anyone know why it makes a difference. I have the bowl on a small box. (maybe 4" off the floor).

I have heard of people doing this for dogs prone to bloat, but not cats. However, our cats throw up a lot.
sickbyc.gif
On our tan carpet too, wonderful...

Not 100% sure, but my guess would be that it probably works because it slows their eating down. At the vet where I work, we have one cat client who has raised bowls for all of her cats (actually, it's a bench with all the bowls lined up on it...she sent us a picture with her naughty chihuahua sneaking in on the cat buffet) and she has it to help control her fat cats' weight. That's also part of the concept behind raising dog bowls to reduce the risk of bloat, it slows down their eating and therefore reduces the amount of air that is swallowed during meal times.

Not 100% sure, but my guess would be that it probably works because it slows their eating down. At the vet where I work, we have one cat client who has raised bowls for all of her cats (actually, it's a bench with all the bowls lined up on it...she sent us a picture with her naughty chihuahua sneaking in on the cat buffet) and she has it to help control her fat cats' weight. That's also part of the concept behind raising dog bowls to reduce the risk of bloat, it slows down their eating and therefore reduces the amount of air that is swallowed during meal times.

The swallowing of air would be my guess too

RobertH

Yep, actually our vet suggested it for us with our male cat, Max, you can see how fast he would eat like inhaling it! We have it up on a small wood box and it forces him to take one bite at a time! No puke since!

Back
Top Bottom