Cat with 6 toes

Ericasl

Songster
11 Years
Feb 21, 2008
The Dalles OR
I have a cat that has 6 toes, and she is going to have a litter of kittens, and I was talking to the lady who does my hair about my 6 toed cat and she said they are rare and you can sell them for big bucks!! I said you are pullng my leg she said she had a friend that breeds just for 6 toes. Anyone heard of such a thing. My kids already said we are keeping all her babies, she will not miss her vet appt next time. She will be locked up the night before!!!

I have heard that before too. Did you google it? You may be sitting on a gold mine!!
big_smile.png

I had a beautiful cat with an extra toe on each foot when I was a teenager....someone stole him! At the time, I did not know this was a big deal as they are not so rare in WV.....must be the inbreeding!
lol.png
My dad even met a girl with 6 toes once!!! Now I hear that they are supposed to be something special....it doesn't look weird just like they have really big feet!

I see a cat with 6 toes (usually from the shelter) every 3 months or so through work, so I don't think they are all that rare. I have also found that it is next to impossible to be both a responsible breeder of cats/dogs and someone who can make a "fortune" doing it.

Six toed cats are unusual but not necessarily rare. They are called polydactyl. Ernest Hemmingway was known for his love of cats and was given a polydactyl by a friend. His home in Key West is open as a museum today and keeps descendants of his original cats, selecting a few for breeding while spaying most. They all have 6 toes. There is an area around Baltimore where almost all the feral cats have 6 toes. It's just a different gene that some cats carry. It's not anymore valuable than any other cat. I had a friend give me one in college, and he was one of the best cats I had ever lived with. He had a great personality. They look like they are wearing gloves all the time.

A friend had some and called them Mitten Kittens. They are really cute. Hers could open doors and get into more trouble, since they used the extra digits the way we use thumbs.

They are not that uncommon at all. I have heard it is a result of cross breeding/kitty incest.
I have never heard of anyone getting money for it
roll.png

This is a stray "blacky" i took home from my work. Hard to believe he was borderline feral when i found him.
Took 2 1/2 months to get near him. He has a few extra toes on each front foot. But i think as stray cats go, there is surely some cross breeding.

039.jpg

Well that what I thought, I really did not think I had hit a gold mine, I saved this kitten from death she is not even a year old and she is in the house, So when she slipped out and was missing for a few days Guess what happened, then I could not get her in the vet to get fixed, then she started to show, I did not have the heart to kill her babies, but she will be in the vet to get fixed as soon as she has these babies, I do not need to add to the pet over load, but her babies will live here with us and they will all be fixed asap. but we do need cats to eat mice where we live, lets hope they donot like CHICKEN!!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom