Cat with black boogers

haha I to googled "what does it mean when cats have black eye boogies" and I chuckled to myself when this is the first thread I came acrossed lol.. iv never seen the word boogie and booger so many times before haha.. but this was definitely a helpful thread although my kitties only have black EYE boogies not the nose.. so not really sure what that means??? anyone know? :)

My kitten had the same thing. When I took him to the vet he said he had a respritory problem and gave him anitbotics. A few months later it came back. It is boogers- The vet showed me where there is pus in the nasel and that dries causing the boogers. You should take your cat to the vet and see if it helps.

Chickade11,

First off hello. I am new here and we have 3, - 8 month old kittens. We are not new to the cat world over the 24 years my wife Pattie, and I have been together we have had the honor of being adopted by 14 loveable rescues, and six are still here with us.

Now the reason for my reply to your pos, was just what you said "I can't believe I googled cat boagies and this thread came up"!!!!!!!!

I too could not believe that I google those words, but I spelled "boogers". Not sure what is correct, but there is a thread about it. As they say if you need information "GOOGLE IT"!!!!

We are very good parents, and have a general idea of when or not to take the kids to the Vet, and this doesn't seem to be one reason for a vet trip, but we are stuck on why Emma, who is one of a set of triplets is the only one who get them. I just read about a otc nose rinse and will be calling the vet to see if it is safe, and if so I will post it here.

Thank you for letting me ramble on,

Hope things work well for you and life makes you happy,
Paul

First of all what color is your cat and if you have a orange tabby its most common on the orange tabby.
My cat buttercup has the black dried boogers too.The vet said to me she has a head cold so your casper may have a head cold too.

Hi,

I have two 3 month old kittens, one of which has the same issue. His nose is dry and he accumulates black crud around his nostrils. When he is calm I first dampen his nose with a soaked cleenex and then after a few minutes, wipe with a wet q-tip. After a day the boogers are back.

Both are ginger tabbies from the same litter, rescued as feral kittens. Only one has the problem. The other has a normal wet nose.

If it is an allergy, do cats ever get allergic to people?

Eric

Hi, I am having the same situation with my cat. I was wondering if anyone has responded to your inquiry as to what the cause of the black boogers is? I removed one today with a warm wet paper towel and placed the "kitty booger" in a little tiny ziploc bag. I will take it to my vet. In the meantime, my sister who is also a cat owner said it could be a respiratory infection. I too wondered if it was from the dust of clumping litter, but my other cats (all indoor) aren't exhibiting any black kitty boogers. If you should find out what the cause of them are, I'd be very interested to know. Thanks! >^•.•^<

I use the word "boogies" too for eye boogers or kitty boogies. My white fluffy cat, gets eye boogies. I try to remove them with a warm moist paper towel but my cat isn't real receptive to my doing that.

I have two 1 year old rescues. One female orange tabby, and one male white rag doll. They both are prone to black eye boogers, but the tabby is worse. She also gets them in the nose. I have to clean them daily with warm, wet q-tips. I have been doing this for a year now, so they are used to it. I have taken them to the vet, but only the male seemed to respond to the medicine/shots. The vet did say that it was a type of respiratory infection that they may have forever... :/
She did recommend L lysine chews to boost their immune system, but only the tabby will eat them. The white one is finicky and he will not eat them. She also prescribed vetropolycin for their eyes, because they were quite bad when I rescued them. This is like a bacitracin for the eyes. I hope this helps. It is annoying to have to do this every day, but I feel glad that they have a good home and they bring our family much joy.
1f431.png

My 6 month old kitten, Casper, has hard black boogers on the rims of his nostrils. His nose is dry to the touch and it seems to hurt him when we try to get it off. I can't imagine what it could be besides the litter or a cold. He uses arm and hammer clumping litter, but my other cats use it too and they don't have it. He is an indoor cat, except when he goes on the balcony a few times a day. Also, we got him about 4 months ago from the animal shelter, they said they found him as a stray. I forgot to add, he acts perfectly healthy other than that. Thanks for any help!
big_smile.png

I found a 4 week old kitten at my mailbox. We live out in the country, so I'm guessing it was either dumped or a stray whore mama cat left it behind. I've since made this kitten an inside kitty and she is 7 weeks old now. She too has black boogie nose on occasions. She never goes outside, doesn't have any health problems or snooty nose. Just the occasional, black rim nostril of hard boogie. I thought it was just me until I saw your post....

Back
Top Bottom