Cat with split back nail

Kaitie09

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2009
South Central, PA
My one guy just cannot catch a break. I was trimming his nails today and noticed one of his back claws is pretty much missing. The nail broke down to the quick, and then the rest of the nail split alongside the quick, down to the skin flap on his toe. He's does not seem too concerned about it but when I messed with it he pulled his foot back. It does not look infected but the top and sides of the quick is exposed. There is a small bit of nail on the top that is still in place and looks good.

I'm just wondering if I should put some neosporin on it in case of if I should take him to the vet. I checked all his other nails and none are split, so I don't think it's a vitamin problem, he must have just got it caught on something and ripped it. He has a habit of getting into sticky situations.

Put some neosporin on it and he will take care of the rest of it. It probably got caught on something. It will grow out, it will just take some time. Over the many years I have had cats things like this has happened many times.

Back
Top Bottom