Cat!!!

Mya05

Songster
May 10, 2020
Edmond, Oklahoma
We had one pullet and one cockerel. Then we added 11 chickens we rescued from a lady who inherited them, but didn't want them. They were in a pretty sorry set up, and residing with the carcass of one that was killed when a dog got into the coop. Our original pullet, Black Widow developed a bad habit of roosting outside the coop until we 'tucked' her in. Eventually, our cockerel, Omen, started roosting next to her. The new flock had to be herded into the coop the first two nights. After that, they put themselves to bed, but our original two carried on waiting for us to 'tuck' them in. At first, one of the rescue hens, or pullet ( not really sure of their ages) started roosting with them :rantI was quite annoyed by this, so I was very happy when Black Widow and Omen went in with the rest of the flock. :love:yesss: Tonight, I had my daughter go out to check if they were in their coop or not. She was outside for a bit, however; that is the norm for her, so I wasn't concerned. She came back in to tell me that Black Widow, Omen, and our Leghorn hen/pullet (again, no idea on age) were all sitting next to the coop, waiting to be 'tucked' in. Worse, a cat was in the yard, and went after the Leghorn before my daughter could get to them. Our original pullet, Black Widow, ran to the safety of the coop. Omen, our rooster, went after the 🐱, with my daughter, and our Leghorn ran into the dog kennel we used when we were having to herd them into the coop. Thankfully, my daughter scared off the 🐱, and apparently Omen took the credit for that! :lau According to my daughter, he made a satisified coo, flapped his wings, fluffed his feathers, and strutted back to the coop. :lau:gigMy daughter then picked up the Longhorn, and held her until she quit shaking. Then she put her into the coop, double checked that it was secured, then came it to tell me about it. I know the cat will be back, and I'm pretty sure I know which neighbor owns it. Hopefully, our two brave idiots will put themselves to bed from now on, and quit teaching bad habits to the new girls! :barnie:he However, I am not holding my breath :rolleyes:

Your daughter and rooster saved the day!!! :celebrate

But to ease her mind, full grown chickens are rarely in danger of cats so I would not stress to much. Even my little silkies have never been killed by cats and I have large feral tom cats that make their rounds through my property. Now if they were still chicks or really young fledglings I would be worried.

Your daughter and rooster saved the day!!! :celebrate

But to ease her mind, full grown chickens are rarely in danger of cats so I would not stress to much. Even my little silkies have never been killed by cats and I have large feral tom cats that make their rounds through my property. Now if they were still chicks or really young fledglings I would be worried.
Good to know! Thankfully, they are all grown!

Agree that there is little danger to a full grown chicken from a cat. A chick is a concern, but not an adult. We also have some cats around - one is definitely a hunter, and never tried to hunt our chickens or chicks.

Back
Top Bottom