Catbird Nest in Chicken Run

serfmunke

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
Hello! The catbirds have a nest in an azalea. The hens enjoy poking about under that azalea. When the baby birds fledge the nest my concern is the hens will kill them. Anyone have an experience with fledglings and their hens? Hoping for some good news!!! TIA.

My chickens tend to ignore fledgling birds, but will peck at them if they stay in the same place too long. I have seen them eating young dead chicks that have fallen out of the nest though.

In my experience, chickens, especially hens with chicks are hard on any kind of small bird they encounter. Pigeons, doves and fledgling American Crows are at serious risk in the presence of adult chickens.

People have had broody hens care for fledgling pigeons, perhaps a broody cod protect the fledglings if you graft them to her.

Our hens eat fledglings. We got lucky this year and saw both nests readying to jump with enough time to call the flock back to their run. Our hens also eat toads and snakes and who knows what else that we haven't caught them with.

Back
Top Bottom