Catch 22 Composting

We have a lot of property so we have a large yard vac to pickup grass clippings and leaves with. We are older people. Hubby is 80 and has Parkinson's and I'm in my 70's. When we were younger we did things different but now we're into making things a little easier. We love to garden. I also have a bagger that fits on my John Deer yard tractor. We have mulching blades on both mowers.
IMG_20200123_102204.jpg
IMG_20200123_102317.jpg

It collects from the mower deck. I don't let the birds out to free range any more due to losses by predators in the past, so in the summer when I'm mowing I use the bagger that fits on the back of my John Deer Yard tractor and the birds get the grass clippings. They love it. As soon as I dump the clippings in their pens, they are in them. Other times of the year they get alfalfa. I do grow greens for them too. We do get freezes, the greens can take pretty cold weather. We have our cold weather crops in the ground now.

130˚ is the target for killing most weeds. For the worst ones you need 145˚ for 30 days. That's why I throw all my nutsedge and bermuda grass in the trash instead of composting it. But with conventional composting you won't get any more weeds than usual.

I, personally, do the largest piles I can so that the mass generates heat. I don't believe the conventional 3'x3'x3' commercial enclosures really do the job unless you're scrupulous about things like ratios, watering and turning. That's how I started out and what I got was really better described as mulch. I was thrilled about it at the time, of course, but my big 4'x6'x4' piles produce actual humus -- passively -- and, while I only occasionally monitor the temps these days, that kind of mass is capable of those 145˚ and higher heats.
I know this is an older post, Rainey, but I would love to see a pic or two of your finished compost, just to know what the goal is.

BTW, I really love your avatar. I so admire that whimsical, light-hearted style. Did you paint it? I just cannot seem to let go and have that much fun with an image.

Thanks! Good to know. I’ve never made compost (and I’m 60ish! :eek:). We built a greenhouse last fall, so I’m finally going to be able to have a bit of a garden. The chickens are in there right now—nice winter home for them.:love I’m very grateful for all the folks who’ve contributed to this super-helpful thread which I’m in process of reading thoroughly.

Back
Top Bottom