Catch Those Ducklings! (Got 1!!!)

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
Ok, so I had 2 ducks sitting on nest... after weeks of hunting we found one nest, one duck.. and then she quit sitting as all the ducklings died before hatch
sad.png

Couldn't find duck #2, in fact she totally stopped coming up to our shore to eat. (We have a shared 2 acre pond)

Then yesterday she comes up to eat and my husband and friend were out fishing on the pond where they spotted 3 ducklings hiding in the marshy area. They took me out to show me then in a spot I could not get to by boat, or by foot. So now the question is, when will mama bring them back home to us to eat? Or any ideas on rounding them up? We have lots of turtles in that pond and I fear there will be no ducklings left if we don't get them home and into a pen until they are big enough to go out on their own.

But I'm so excited to be a ducky mama again!!!!

Last edited:
Here's a bump. I don't know anything about Ducks except that those ducklings are about the cutest creatures to walk the earth!!

I try to coax everyone over to our shore with trees for mama... but she's packs them away all nice and safe and comes over without them!
he.gif

i don't have any ducks right now, but I am sure she will eventually bring them over to your side....in the mean time, maybe youi could go as far as you can by boat or foot and throw some bread to them...

Tried the bread too... the ducklings won't come out. That pond is packed with turtles and I don't think they will survive long if I don't catch them when they are that small.
hmm.png

After several hours of convincing mama to bring babies up to eat, we were able to swipe 1 baby.

The bad news is a few days ago there were 3 baby ducklings, last night there were only 2. Then a neighbor said last weekend he saw 4 babies. So I think cats or turtles have gotten a couple so far, this is why I've been trying so hard to catch mama and babies. I have a spare pen, and I was going to put them all in together until the babies got big enough the could handle themselves... maybe even fly!

So now, in a cat kennel, I have a very unhappy lonely duck. I just need to figure out how to catch the last one. I can get mama by herself, I got her twice last night... but the little one's won't come close if I have mama.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom