Catching Free Range Chickens - HELP!

Thanks, I'll keep the leg dislocation in mind. I've never had to catch chickens that weren't somewhat docile so I don't know what to expect of these birds that have never been handled!

Actually I've gotten accustomed to having these fresh, healthy eggs now that we've been taking care of the chickens so we intend to keep them. The organic eggs I used to buy at the Coop were good, but they weren't as fresh and they were up to $4 a dozen... ridiculous. Now, for a couple 50lb bags of chicken scratch a month we've got more eggs than we can eat. I used to be on a farm when I was a kid, and this whole experience has made me so happy that the little one (4 years) is learning to gather her own eggs and take care of the birds.

I like the bribery idea MTchick gave. I think we'll try that as well, but as the birds are so skittish, I don't know whether they'll stick around the food long enough for us to close a door on them, it may take too long for them to learn to get close to us (longer than we have, at least!). Right now I just put some food in a little feeder I made and then spread some out in the grass as well. They won't come anywhere near until I've gone to another part of the yard.

Monty - Well... We have this little enclosure that we wanted to get some pullets and maybe a hen into (there's one with about 10 really young chicks) so we could get them accustomed to us (they're so scared!), but we can't do much about the whole flock because our coop isn't anywhere near done. We haven't even had much chance to catch any and clip wings (my fault, I forgot sharp scissors yesterday). Every time we get down there to do some work it rains!!
barnie.gif

So we chased one little pullet around for about 10 minutes trying to catch him. The poor little guy got so tired
sad.png
I felt terrible! But, we managed to catch him and put him in our little enclosure. We didn't manage to get any other that day, but when we came back the next day there were three other (smaller) pullets in there with him! They were juuust small enough to fit through the chain link to get in. We chased another one around and caught this one (by luck) in about 2 minutes. We're getting a roll of chicken wire to put around the bottom of the enclosure so we can keep even the smaller ones in there. Hopefully today we'll be able to catch mama and her babies. Mama was hanging around right outside the enclosure with the pullets in it so I think she'll be okay with them.

I've made one of those little hook devices but it didn't work at all for catching the first guy we chased around (he was too fast!). I'll have to make it sturdier, and I think it will work better for chickens that aren't sooooo scared of us. I was thinking a big net might work better. I am looking for one. When we get close to them in a corner they just jump up and fly over the fence or over our heads. Even the first little we tried to catch jumped 5 feet in the air and flew right past me for about 25 feet! Amazing!

Again, thanks for your help, and I'll keep you posted! I'll also be posting some updates occasionally in the Coop forum as we get our coop together!

When we first got our pullets they were used to sleeping outdoors.We used a large fish net to catch them for about a week then they got the idea that they should go into the coop at night. I don't know if that would help in a tree,but it was pretty easy to catch them my grandchildren even did it.

When my pheasant gets loose I go after her with a large long handle fishing net. that way you only need to get within 10 feet then just scoop em' up. good luck they can be tough.

When we first got our pullets they were used to sleeping outdoors.We used a large fish net to catch them for about a week then they got the idea that they should go into the coop at night. I don't know if that would help in a tree,but it was pretty easy to catch them my grandchildren even did it.
I was thinking about getting a big fishing net as a "just in case" I need to catch a loose one quickly. My chicks are about a week from being ready to go in the coop and run area I'm building. I have kids and nephews who are "helping" raise them, so I forsee some escapees at some point. Did the net work okay? I don't want to hurt them.

I was thinking about getting a big fishing net as a "just in case" I need to catch a loose one quickly. My chicks are about a week from being ready to go in the coop and run area I'm building. I have kids and nephews who are "helping" raise them, so I forsee some escapees at some point. Did the net work okay? I don't want to hurt them.

You may want to look up poultry catch nets. They also make catchers that hook around the chicken's leg so you can pull it to you.

https://www.amazon.com/Brower-PCF1-Plastic-Fowl-Catcher/dp/B001O217OG

Btw, this thread is from 2007 so you're not likely to hear back from any of the original posters.

My chickens free range during the day and sleep in their coop. If I need to catch one, or for what ever reason want them back in the coop, I lure them in with treats. Hansel and Gretel style - scattering a trail from where they are leading in the direction of where I want them. Dry cat food seems to be their favourite! When I've lured them back into the coop it's much easier to catch them.

Back
Top Bottom