Cats and Chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Mommy2Blaze, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Mommy2Blaze

Mommy2Blaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dalton, GA
    Is it odd that my cats and chickens hang out together? They will all lounge around under the coop and when it rains they all run into the coop together and wait it out. The cats let the chickens eat with them and the chickens will stare them down and dare them to do anything lol. It is so funny to watch them. Is this normal?
    [​IMG]

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Very normal [​IMG]
    Mostly, my cats over the years have utterly adored my birds (just one was scared of them). At first the birds would scold a cat they don't know but once that cat proves itself to be a friend, they scold it no more and hang out together like buds [​IMG]. I love watching my cats and chickens together.
    A darling once-feral cat that I adopted was so in love with my roo and hen that even when hen Betty would grab his tail in her beak (just to be a smart butt), he would purr and purr and stay very still until she tired of hanging onto his tail. Then he would lay down belly up at her feet. How I loved him.
    JJ

3. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    We have an indoor cat and we also have chickens that we only let out in the evening when we can keep and eye on them. We also let the cat out and she hides in the flower beds and her garden and watches the chickens. Then she will get bored and roam around looking for bugs to attack. Then she will watch again, if the chickens get to close to her she jumps at them and they go crazy and then the cat just lays there again and watches so more. It is hilarious to watch. The chickens are about as big as her and they outnumber her so I think she realizes she better be careful about ticking them off too much. You can see a gray cat hunkered down in the middle of the picture towards the bottom.

[​IMG]

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Hey, if you can't bet them, join them.

Growing up, we had two chickens and a big white goose. The neighbor's cat would stalk them constantly. She'd leap over a hedge and land in front of them. The chickens would just look at her and the goose would usually take a good nip at her. This went on for months and months and finally one day, I go out there and the four of them are all laying in the sun together and were best friends after that. The four could always be found together somewhere in the yard.

5. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    I was worried when I brought my rescued kitty home that she and the chickens&ducks wouldn't get along. When they met the chickens&ducks followed her all over the yard and thought she was the most facinating thing they have ever seen. Now she follows me when I do chores in the morning and will some times jump up to inspect the nest boxes...The chickens hardly mind now after the first few times she did it.

6. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Not at all....my cat coal wouldn't say love but he tolerates them lol....btw this only works if the chickens are grown if their babies their just a meal to em....coal actually killed one of my RIR chicks but Ive learned my lesson about that and he has too lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  7. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    My neighbour's cat loves hanging with the chickens. Sometimes there is a bit of mutual stink eye action, and sometimes Lucy the red hen will bite Nermalina on the butt, but otherwise, I think she digs the chickens. They entertain her!

8. ShelterGirl

ShelterGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Completely. We have a barn cat that goes out in the yard and thinks he is everything BUT a cat sometimes. He eats horse feed, then goes out and grazes with the chickens.

[​IMG]

Lightning Bug and the chickpeas

9. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    *sigh* I wish I could say my cat and chooks get along but they don't.

The chooks are very nervous when he's in the yard, and he likes to torment them by pouncing on them and chasing them when I'm not out there supervising. I have then shut in the run when the cat is out because I don't trust him at all. He is a born hunter and not afraid of getting pecked because the girls have never tried to put him in his place - they just squawk and flap and run away from him. [​IMG] Thi sis the reason I'm letting their flight feathers grow out, so they have half a chance if he corners them.

10. Of COURSE it's normal......

This is Red and my cat Rox. Both RIP my babies.

[​IMG]

and Sam and Black Jack

[​IMG]

and Sandy and Sam

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by