1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cats and Chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BovieVei, Aug 4, 2011.

1. BovieVei

BovieVei Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Yesterday when I was holding my Black Australorp, my cat turned the side or the house and started jogging toward me, in the hopes of being pet. It just happened to be the time that I let go of my chicken and she flew STRAIGHT at my cat. His eyes got wide and it was a split second before he bolted off!

Funny how he's scared of them now considering he used to sit on top of the brooder and drool.
    [​IMG]

2. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL!!! My cats are the same way! We have 2 and I was so afraid that they'd attack our chickens. Here's one of my kitties on the brooder...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And here's my other girl cowering as the chickens in all their curiosity and playfulness charge her:
    [​IMG]

And today.....the chickens have made one our pet cats "their" pet! Go see here. Buff Orpingtons with their pet cat

I never thought that our kitty Caspian would be the lowest in the pecking order. Hehe!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  3. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    My cats stalk my chickens around but I have yet to see them hurt them. Wouldn't trust them with chicks. But they typically ignore them unless one is acting frantic or something and sparks their interest

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by