Cats and free-range chicks

Red Mangrove

Songster
Jan 25, 2023
It's occured to me recently that a cat would be very nice on my homestead, if only to eat rats at night. However I free range my chickens. Right now I have maybe 40 chicks outside, with a variety of different mothers, all completely free to go where they will

Will a cat actually keep rats down, or will it take the easy path and poach chicks at night?

I'm fine with some degree of chicken eating, as this is natural selection, however a tool that mostly preys upon my beloved companions is unacceptable

I used to have a neighbor's cat that ignored my chicks, but it also never displayed any hunting ability whatsoever

I have had cats + chickens for over a year now. One cat is definitely big enough and mean enough to nab a chicken, but for whatever reason, he hasn’t. A starving, desperate cat is more likely to try to get a chicken, but if you take care of your cats and feed them well, the motivation is just not there. A full grown chicken is a bit much for a cat. However chicks are a different story, and I never trusted my cat around them until they were as big as her. She was way too interested and I’m positive she would have taken as many as she could get (which would have been all of them, and she doesn’t hunt because she’s hungry, she hunts for fun).

Cats definitely keep the rodents down. We had a major problem (outside around the property- never in the house) and 2 cats had it sorted out within a couple of months.

Local cat rescue groups always have cats that need barn homes. They may not be cuddly, but they will do good work. Be sure to feed them to keep them around and healthy. It’s a myth that if you feed a cat they won’t hunt. Cats hunt for fun, not just to eat.

Also keep in mind that cats often run into trouble at night. Most are lost during those hours to predators, so if you get attached to your barn cat, it’s wise to lock them up at night (not always feasible with a feral barn cat). Cats will hunt during the day too.

Last edited:
cats and chicks generally dont mix .. i free range my birds, but if you dont lock them up at night eventually something will come along and snatch them while they roost .... now with older birds it usually isnt too bad, youll lose one or two, and thats a warning you need to act to protect your flock ...with juvenile birds though something will get in there and kill every single one of them in one night, including a cat .. i wouldnt get too complacent about that situation .. roosting birds especially young ones, are easy for anything to grab, you can walk out and just pick them up yourself if theyre roosting ...

Back
Top Bottom