Cats and Respiratory infections

kryptoniteqhs

Rosecomb Rich
12 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Norco, CA
Ok
Theres this cat at the shelter thats been there for months. His name is Oreo, he is black and white and very pretty. Hes huge, hes two years old and is the sweetest cuddliest kitty ever! He was given up because he had AN (as in one) accident in the house. He always uses the litter box at the shelter tho. Anyways I was thinking of adopting him. But, I noticed he had a little sniffle and his nose was bleeding a teeny tiny bit. I asked if they had treated it. They said hes had it since he was dropped off there and they treated with amoxicillan and that didnt work too well so they just started him on something a little stronger (tremedol keeps popping in my head, but im not sure if thats what she said). Anywho, I have another cat at my house (not mine, my roommates) and the way I understand it is once a cat gets a respiratory infection it will always be in their system. It will go dormant and is treatable, but will always come back. I dont want my roommate's cat to get it and have to be treated forever. Her cat is 5. Oreo, the cat at the shelter, doesnt have any snot or goo coming out of his nose, just a little sniffle and I noticed a teeny bit of blood out of one nostril. What do you guys think?

idunno.gif
I Dunno but I'll give you a *BUMP* Maybe someone will know.

WAs he tested for leukemia and feline aids?*cant remember the correct term for it..*...i would not take him home until he tests neg. and his infection clears up...

Amen redhen, that is something that should automaticly taken place in the neutering and adoption procedure.
We do not take home ill looking birds (ahem, now I don't...duh.) due to the seriousness of illness, don't take any animal home without knowing what it has and tested for. Or it will cost you much more and I don't know how long it is that your property will not be able to house other cats with Feline Luekemia/Aids is.
Good luck to you! It could be a simple allergy, but you certainly want to know for what that will be- testing is $$$$

Just a sniffle? How did his eyes look? Irritated around the edges? Just wondering if it wasn't herpes.......Many cats harbor herpes. When they become stressed (like being in the shelter, going to the vet, you going on vacation, the cat getting sick from something else) the signs of the VIRUS come out--runny nose, irritated eyes, eye discharge, upper respiratory syndrome. Since this is a virus it can't be treated with antibiotics (amoxicillin, clavamox, etc.)

There's been some luck "suppressing" herpes with lysine--an amino acid. After getting the initial "outbreak" under control, you then start giving this again before a stressfull event. Ex: I will start giving my known herpes + cat her Viralysis (lysine supplement) about 1 week before I have to take her to the vet and then continue it for one week after going to the vet--she hasn't had any out breaks since.

This is just a suggestion as to what it might be as that's what we see a lot in our clinic. I would suggest that if you get the cat you keep it seperate from your other cat for 30 days and take it to good vet for a complete health screen (including blood work, FeLV/FIV test)

And yes--Herpes is contagious, although something like 80% of cats actually have it but onlly a small percentage will show it when stressed

Could be other things too--asthma, mycoplasma

ok well....i went back and i havent got him yet. i almost snagged him. i was going to board him at the vet for 2 weeks till he cleared up. i already talked to the vet. but, i dont know if i wanna wait 2 weeks lol.......idk....plus when i was there this last time he sneezed blood on me
hmm.png

I worked both at vet and shelters and all animals taken in are checked by a vet. Is this a private place that just takes in rescues? Has it been seen by a vet yet? We have alot of those around here some are good some are not. But whatever you do do not take around any other cats and make sure you wash well before touching another. Just from experience it passes to others fast. The blood thing send red flags with me. I was raised with animals and that almost seems like some kind of tramua.

Back
Top Bottom