Cats out of wack

The skin can get sore and inflamed under the mats, possibly even leading to infection. The yellow stuff you saw could have been pus, a sign of infection. That's why it's important to groom regularly, even daily. In a perfect world we would start them out as kittens and they would learn to love and expect it. However, all is not lost. Does she tolerate petting? Pet with a brush or comb in your hand. Don't try to get the mats out at first, it will hurt, just like if you had a tangle in your hair and just yanked a whole knot of hair from your head. Your goal is to teach her to accept and enjoy the brush or comb. So as you pet her, occasionally use the tool to stroke her instead of your hand, at random. Gently. As she tolerates it, use the tool more often. Start with her head or neck, just one stroke with the tool out of every three or four with your hand. Gradually use it on her shoulders, then her back, then her sides. Over time, use the tool more often. Eventually you will just be brushing her. Note, when using the tool, lift the hair up and away from the body, do not scrape the body with the tool. Good Luck! (This will take TIME! So be patient and do it every day.)
Excellent advice! Im glad someone else took the time to type all this out. My mainecoon, 16 yrs old this July, loves/tolerates being groomed. Depending on if he has any mats. They are quick to form so keeping a close eye out really helps. Long haired cats are also prone to ringworm. It wouldnt hurt to take your cat to the vet for a check. Mine had a weird spot on his tail where the fur just came out. After the vet check, he had at least 7 ringworm spots. Most wouldnt have been found, and able to be treated, without the vet visit. I wish I had those pix on my tablet for your reference, but I do have plenty of his regular fluffiness I love to share. 🥰
By the way, mainecoons have shorter fur on their necks and shoulders, so having any mats there sounds off. They're usually under the front arms and between the back legs.

Attachments

• 2E1F1FD9-68B8-43EC-A332-5D9FF532B7C5.jpeg
    2E1F1FD9-68B8-43EC-A332-5D9FF532B7C5.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 744B9E7B-785E-4F5E-89C5-4828CE51137E.jpeg
    744B9E7B-785E-4F5E-89C5-4828CE51137E.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 3
Excellent advice! Im glad someone else took the time to type all this out. My mainecoon, 16 yrs old this July, loves/tolerates being groomed. Depending on if he has any mats. They are quick to form so keeping a close eye out really helps. Long haired cats are also prone to ringworm. It wouldnt hurt to take your cat to the vet for a check. Mine had a weird spot on his tail where the fur just came out. After the vet check, he had at least 7 ringworm spots. Most wouldnt have been found, and able to be treated, without the vet visit. I wish I had those pix on my tablet for your reference, but I do have plenty of his regular fluffiness I love to share. 🥰
By the way, mainecoons have shorter fur on their necks and shoulders, so having any mats there sounds off. They're usually under the front arms and between the back legs.
OK we think she is part mainecoon

Vet tech here - Yeah it's that time of year where Maine Coons and other thick-furred cats are molting out their winter coats. They need help with grooming year-round, but especially when molting or else they do get mats, which can cause problems for them ranging from discomfort to skin infections. I've seen it become so severe that the skin and underlying tissue necrosis and sloughs off and that obviously is not a good situation for the cat.

Anyway what I'm saying is I agree, you've got to find some way to get the cat used to grooming. Conditioning the cat to get used to brushing is always best, but some cats just never like it--those ones may need something to relax them so you can get the grooming accomplished (talk to your vet for options). Or see if a local vet does sedated grooms. And if that isn't workable either, you can always go to the old standby, which is what I do with my long-haired cat: get them shaved down! A lot of long-haired cats seem to enjoy being fur-free in the warmer months, plus I don't have to worry about fighting with her to keep her grooming. She does not make the cutest lion cut but man it saves us both so much hassle.

Vet tech here - Yeah it's that time of year where Maine Coons and other thick-furred cats are molting out their winter coats. They need help with grooming year-round, but especially when molting or else they do get mats, which can cause problems for them ranging from discomfort to skin infections. I've seen it become so severe that the skin and underlying tissue necrosis and sloughs off and that obviously is not a good situation for the cat.

Anyway what I'm saying is I agree, you've got to find some way to get the cat used to grooming. Conditioning the cat to get used to brushing is always best, but some cats just never like it--those ones may need something to relax them so you can get the grooming accomplished (talk to your vet for options). Or see if a local vet does sedated grooms. And if that isn't workable either, you can always go to the old standby, which is what I do with my long-haired cat: get them shaved down! A lot of long-haired cats seem to enjoy being fur-free in the warmer months, plus I don't have to worry about fighting with her to keep her grooming. She does not make the cutest lion cut but man it saves us both so much hassle.
thanks for the advice ill be sure to try that!

Back
Top Bottom