CATS

misshell

Songster
May 30, 2020
Livermore, California
Our neighbor takes care of ten ferrel cats. They are friendly, but leave us ALL the rodents in the area as gifts on our front porch, so I know they are great hunters. I worry about them getting my chickens. 4 gold sex links and 6 buff orpington. The cats have been real curious and coming by to check the chicks out in the run. I'd like to let them free range the yard once they are big enough, only during they day and when I am home, though. They would be happy in our yard. I'd hate to leave them in the coop/run 24/7. How dangerous are cats to full grown chickens?

This may not be very helpful, but we have a cat that was left here at the house when we moved. I was nervous about her at first but she turns out to be not an issue. We also took in a dump kitten who I was nervous about. He never had an issue and was a rather lazy hunter and never bothered the chickens. I would keep them into the run and watch the cats when they approach. Maybe if you kinda...introduce them...then maybe they’ll get along?

I have one outdoor cat. She showed up 8 years ago and I've fed her and cared for her ever since. She is the best (or worst - I don't appreciate all the stuff she kills) hunter there is. She brings us everything from shrews to rabbits.

I was nervous at first about how she'd be around chicks. She watched them through the pen but eventually lost interest. Once she realized they were just smallish versions of the adult raptors, she pays them no mind. I don't let chicks out u til they're at least 3 weeks old. Even then, I am always right there just in case. By 6 weeks, Kiki can be trusted with them.

She's never paid any attention to my adult birds.

This may not be very helpful, but we have a cat that was left here at the house when we moved. I was nervous about her at first but she turns out to be not an issue. We also took in a dump kitten who I was nervous about. He never had an issue and was a rather lazy hunter and never bothered the chickens. I would keep them into the run and watch the cats when they approach. Maybe if you kinda...introduce them...then maybe they’ll get along?
That’s a good idea. They are very friendly cats. Wouldn’t hurt to try.

My cat had it out for our old rooster. He’d ambush him every chance he could. Every time the rooster got away unharmed.

Same cat.... decided week old chicks were a tasty looking snack. Momma hen cornered cat and flogged him for30-40 seconds continuously. He hasn’t looked sideways at them since.

Rooster is still a once a week thing.

Did I mention he’s a 16 lb marbled snow bengal. Most normal cats are half the weight.

Many cats will be happy to take unguarded chicks, but as the birds get bigger, they loose interest. Well fed pet cats generally won't tackle any chicks over six or eight weeks of age. Most of the cats are interested in the mice that like the chicken feed, so they are helpful. None of my cats have been willing to take on rats though.
Mary

He’s nabbed 3 digger squirrels that were trying to burrow under the wood pile and feed shed.

Brought a rabbit through the dog door..... then turned it loose.

Locked him outside when I spied him bringing a 2’ snake of some sort toward the dog door.

I’ll box his butt up and rent him to you for the rats!!! Betting he’d find great sport in it.

Back
Top Bottom