1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cats!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by stumble_n_mumble, Oct 30, 2009.

1. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i saw a cat running around by my chicken run/coop and i wanted to catch this bugger since i dont want anything happening to them. i have since caught 9 cats and a possum. it is honestly UNBELIEVABLE!! i hate them lol. does anyone know if it is illegal to do this? i have the trap in my backyard on my property so i feel like i can do as i please. i am not aware of any laws. i live in new york. anyone have any idea??

2. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Since it's damage control you should be OK. Especially since the official trapping season starts just about now.

3. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i had no idea there is a "trapping" season.

4. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    It is in PA anyway, most everywhere starts around now.

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Uh, maybe check into the trapping, I think it only applies to certain areas in NY, and not sure where you are and I think you may need a permit to do it - you also may need a license and have to take a course

6. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i live in suffolk county new york. im not sure how to look this info up??!

7. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    The real question would be what are you doing with the animals after you catch them? That's what animal control would be more interested in, especially given the time of year and the "rituals" some people perform.
    *NOTE: I know you aren't sacrificing cats, just saying that it happens and ACO's have to be cautious*

But even if you are humanely killing them, there might be a problem with that legally. You could always call local animal control and inquire what they recommend if a cat/possum/whatever is harassing your coop. Speaking hypothetically, of course.

8. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Quote:The first thing I'd do is call animal control or your sheriff and find out what you can do. I don't know of any place in the US (especially rural) where you are not allowed to protect your property from maurading animals, even cats. If they're damaging your property, you should be able to dispose of them. But call and check first. And check on the possum too. You can look them up online as well.

Here where I live, I can dispose of the cats and possums. But you really have to check your laws and ordinances where you live.

9. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I have a friend who lives in upstate New York. He tells me you can't shoot ANYTHING without permission. You can't even own a firearm without permission from the New York czars.

Here in Florida I can shoot it if comes on my property. With my guns I didn't have to ask permission for to own.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  10. skywatcher

skywatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Arlington,Indiana
    You don't need a Gun to dispatch most animals,trappers don't want a hole in the pelt,so they knock them in the head with a hammer,or club,same as harvesting tame rabbits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by