cats!!!!!!

stumble_n_mumble

Songster
11 Years
Nov 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
i saw a cat running around by my chicken run/coop and i wanted to catch this bugger since i dont want anything happening to them. i have since caught 9 cats and a possum. it is honestly UNBELIEVABLE!! i hate them lol. does anyone know if it is illegal to do this? i have the trap in my backyard on my property so i feel like i can do as i please. i am not aware of any laws. i live in new york. anyone have any idea??

Uh, maybe check into the trapping, I think it only applies to certain areas in NY, and not sure where you are and I think you may need a permit to do it - you also may need a license and have to take a course

The real question would be what are you doing with the animals after you catch them? That's what animal control would be more interested in, especially given the time of year and the "rituals" some people perform.
*NOTE: I know you aren't sacrificing cats, just saying that it happens and ACO's have to be cautious*

But even if you are humanely killing them, there might be a problem with that legally. You could always call local animal control and inquire what they recommend if a cat/possum/whatever is harassing your coop. Speaking hypothetically, of course.

Quote:
The first thing I'd do is call animal control or your sheriff and find out what you can do. I don't know of any place in the US (especially rural) where you are not allowed to protect your property from maurading animals, even cats. If they're damaging your property, you should be able to dispose of them. But call and check first. And check on the possum too. You can look them up online as well.

Here where I live, I can dispose of the cats and possums. But you really have to check your laws and ordinances where you live.

I have a friend who lives in upstate New York. He tells me you can't shoot ANYTHING without permission. You can't even own a firearm without permission from the New York czars.

Here in Florida I can shoot it if comes on my property. With my guns I didn't have to ask permission for to own.

Last edited:
You don't need a Gun to dispatch most animals,trappers don't want a hole in the pelt,so they knock them in the head with a hammer,or club,same as harvesting tame rabbits.

Back
Top Bottom