cattle cold case {smiles}

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by that_crazy_lady, Oct 30, 2009.

1. that_crazy_lady

that_crazy_lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    Well today I was looking at Heritage cattle breeds trying to find one I like. I always go back the Simmental-not a Heritage breed-but my dad had them when he was younger. I have most of his papers on the breed, and some photos of his cattle. I got told a lot of stories by my dad, and grandma. Three names stand out in my mind, Pretty Girl, High Pockets, and Achievement, the latter was the sire to the other two. dad did not own him, but did get to see him.
    Pretty Girl was bigger then any bull they ever had on the place. but the few calves she did have were still borns. one all black calf had a very large head, my papa told me. I think the other was deformed as well. she was sold around the age of 5 I think.
    any ways I got to fishing around and after all these year found out why her calves died. some time after my family sold her she was tested, and we now know she caried Neuropathic Hydrocephalus and Arthrogryposis Multiplex. dad never could understand what was wrong with his favorit cow, now I think he feels a little better about it.

this all happend around 24 years ago.

I just think it's kinda neat how stuff turns up over the years:)

oh and the thing that sticks out about Achievement, when my dad got to see him, he was being keep in a dry lot, and needed a hoof trim. the vet came out to sadate him. over three hour the vet packs his stuff up and heads out. the bull was still standing. when the owner ask where he was going the vet said "what do you want me to do, I gave him more then enugh to kill him. and if I give him any more I think I will" and his nech was so wide it would not fit in a door way.
    now I just wish I could find photos of him [​IMG]

here is a tast of the breed http://www.fleckvieh.com/fleckviehbulls.htm

2. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] wow those are some nice looking meaties... I am partial to Brahma's and Angus, but I sure wouldn't mind a few of those Bovines in my pasture.

Share pics when you get your cow(s) [​IMG]

3. that_crazy_lady

that_crazy_lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    I just saw the reply.
    trust me when I get some of these babys they with have a whole site.
    check this site out http://celticherd.com/index.html my dad found this one, shocker cuz he is luck if he can turn the computer on. but he looked like a kid in a candie store [​IMG]

4. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I have Scottish Highlanders and really like them. They are extremely hardy, less than 1% calving problems, very docile and can live in harsh environments. They love to browse in wooded areas. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by