Cattle Egret

ParadiseFoundFarm

Goddess of Good Things
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Joliet, IL
My birds know a predator better than I. We are in Illinois and have a cattle egret hanging about. I just thought it was a pretty bird eating bugs. I is small enough to go through our pop door. It made a mess inside the coop, broken eggs everywhere and panic stricken birds. They are rare in these parts. I would hate to shoot it but cannot cover more than an acre of free range. Any suggestions?

Wow! Never would've considered a cattle egret an issue, but then again, they do like eggs...

I'd call your local law enforcement and department of natural resources (or equivalent) and explain the situation and then ask what you are permitted to do about it. I know that if it were within my area, we could kill it, regardless of whether or not it was threatened or endangered or whathaveyou, because the law says that any threat/attack to livestock may be eliminated. That doesn't hold true everywhere, so make sure you check.

What was it doing in there, can you tell? Do you have small chicks? It almost sounds as if it were exploring a possible food source and then just freaked out when it found itself 'trapped' inside. More information might help us figure out what you can do about it. I hope that you don't have any repeats!

We noticed it while cutting grass with the medium mower - not exactly a lawn mower but not the big tractor. We left that area uncut so as not to disturb it. For 2 days it hung around and returned mostly to that spot - we though it might be good hunting for frog - which we saw it eat a few - and insects or it was building a nest there. It was pretty so we left it. Our birds kept undercover and by day 2 it was apparent they were frightened and under stress. Our set-up is electrified fence surrounding 1+ to 3 acres, depending on the season, with a mobil tractor inside, various covered & non covered roosting inside the fenced area too. There are always at least 2 full grown cocks on watch. Currently 1 of them is very aggressive and protective. We currently have no small babies in the flock - all are full grown.
Paradise Found is surrounded by forest preserve. Large trees circle our 10 acre meadow and 1/4 acre pond. The meadow is long and a host for prey animals like frogs, toads, mice etc. Deer are abundant. So are coyote. We have a population of wild turkey and quail. There is a creek cutting through our wooded area of property for about 1600 feet. There is a swale going through the middle of the meadow which is usually moist with dryer area on either side.
Every time we have witnessed this bird it is outside the fenced area. I would hate to shoot it because it is rare in these parts but if it happens again I will not hesitate. I'd rather come to a compromise with the animal like I have with the other predators in our area - don't bother my birds and I won't kill you. I have found that racoons, possums, coyote, owl and hawk are much more reasonable animals to deal with. I just need to learn this animal's language so I can communicate my intentions before carrying them out. I does not respect fencing, shiny dangly objects, humans in the vicinity or my 100lb dog when it is on the other side of the fence. It seems to be an intelegent animal capable of reasoning. I just need to reason with it before I resort to the ultimate solution.
Ideas?

Back
Top Bottom