Cattle panel

Saturday, Hubby and I went to TSC to pick up some "handy panels". These are 8' long cattle panels. I figured the minor cost increase over the sq. ft. price of the 16' panels would be more than made up for b/c they would be easier to transport, and would not need to be cut. Well, since getting a price quote several weeks ago, the price had gone up considerably. So, we brought home 4 full length CP. Yesterday, Hubby cut them for me. I now have 6 panels that are around 5' long, 4 of which have the tangs attached on one end, so those tangs can be pushed into the soil. 2 of the 5' panels have no tangs. The remaining 2 16' panels were cut in half, so that I can use them as trellis material, or put them together to make a chicken corral. Last night, I ordered wire panel hinges: https://www.premier1supplies.com/li...ALL&search_cat_id=&criteria=wire+panel+hinges

These are the greatest invention since sliced bread!

Guess I should show off my CP creation....many here have seen it but not all:

Just cattle panels wired to steel fence posts pounded into the ground.

Inside during early spring. Notice the chicks being brooded in a wire pen, there on the left. Run is still partially covered with plastic for winter protection.

Run the first summer we built it....before we expanded it by one panel. Lattice is just for looks. Landcape fabric unrolled over the top and then attached to strips so we could raise and lower sections like window shades.

Winter? No problem. Blizzards, snow load....it withstands it all and provides a roomy, dry place for them.
What size cattle panels are you using for this?

What size cattle panels are you using for this?

Blooie hasn't been around for a while.

CP are 16' long and 50" tall. Hog panels are (I think) 16' x 48". You simply make your building in 50" increments, though some folks do overlap the panels. Heavy duty zip ties or wire is used to join the panels. Blooie's building IIRC was made with T posts to support the panels in the correct curve/footprint. Other folks build a 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 frame, and attach the panels to the inside of the frame.

My first CP shelter build was a winter shelter for a few sheeples....that thing was amazing! Put it up in less than an hour, took it down in even less time come spring. We had winds of 50-75 mph that winter and that thing didn't budge, nor did the tarp on it.

Then I use CPs for tomato, beans and cuke trellising....the tomatoes are so easy, you just weave them back and forth in the fencing squares as they grow and you don't need any support at all.

And this fall I took down those trellises and arranged a hoop structure covered with a tarp so I could store bags of fall leaves and our lawnmower out of the weather....they will be put back up in the spring for trellising once again. CP is just that versatile.

GREAT thread, LG!!!!

Yes! Great thread indeed! Bee - where did you get the diamond-shaped bungee cord to place over the tarp? Did the same exact hoop shelter for my small flock of sheep, however my tarp did not last a season due to high winds ripping it apart. Also love your idea of an makeshift storage shed for the lawnmower.....only hangup is the tarps ripping. :rant

Back
Top Bottom