Caught another fox!

tellynpeep

Crowing
14 Years
Oct 4, 2008
SW New Hampshire
But I know there is at least one more, as the trail-cam caught two of them at once circling my coop (lost my favorite hen last week when she must have flown out of the electrified run :-( )
Here he is!

:

Omg!! Tell me how you did this! I'm at war with a fox right now and would live to catch it instead of shooting at it (I seriously need to practice).

Omg!! Tell me how you did this! I'm at war with a fox right now and would live to catch it instead of shooting at it (I seriously need to practice).
This is the second one I've caught in my Hav-a-Hart trap.
The key is to use a live chicken as bait (my rooster volunteered, and he is unhurt :) )

The following pics show the set-up. Basically, the trap and the cage with the rooster were next to each other in a line, so the fox had to go through the trap to get to the rooster. They are very wary, and it took several weeks of him dancing around the trap before he went in (I have a trail-cam on it.) I also placed small pieces of cat food near the trap and around the opening so he could get used to eating and more comfortable around it. It helped this year in that I placed the trap last fall, so it was part of the landscape, so to speak, and pretty much free of human smells by this spring. I've lost a LOT of chickens to foxes (more to the neighbor's dogs though.)

Here is last year's set-up:

Arggghhh! I just came home to a pile of feathers by my front door..... I had left the rooster out for a few hours (after he did his duty being fox bait) and ANOTHER fox came and grabbed him. My daughter and dog were home and chased off the fox. Rooster is OK but minus ALL his tail for now. And alas, spending another night in the trap for the fox...

I'm wondering if the fear pheremones in the trap from the last fox will scare off the next one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom