Caulk/paint?

I disagree. You should caulk then paint. The paint will hide the caulk. Just make sure you use paintable caulk. By the way what is it you will be caulking?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking he was probably going to use stain versus colored paint.... for stain, I would still suggest caulking afterward because the caulk won't allow the color to get into the grain of the wood. For other types of paint, callemin is probably correct.

Side note: most people recommend caulk only for waterproofing of roof panels, in which case the chicks won't really be in danger of ingesting the caulk. I wouldn't be comfortable caulking anywhere else.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm planning to caulk the outside of the coop (seams and also gaps between perpindicular plywood boards). The information on the caulk tube I was looking at was specifying no more than 3/8" or 1/2" gap depending on the type/brand of caulk. Otherwise they say you need a "backer rod" whatever that is. Some of my gaps come close to 3/8" but don't exceed it.

Quote:
If it turns out to be a good idea, I just plan to caulk the outside. I'm attempting to keep water from leaking into the coop from rain and then causing slow rot inside the coop where I can't see it.

Back
Top Bottom