Cause of blood in duck eggs?

TwilightHeart

In the Brooder
May 4, 2015
I have been having a continuous problem with my duck eggs having blood in them, I get them fairly often. It is usually quite a bit of blood and some other material ranging from a long thing, like in the photo below, to a small roundish thing. While the eggs are probably fertile, they are not left more than an hour or so before being refrigerated, as the ducks stay in a small area at night, and I collect the eggs first thing in the morning. There is nowhere for an egg to be hidden, and they're not being layed later in the day. In the picture the white of the egg is just missing because I scooped it out of a pot of water, and the white didn't make it out with the rest of the egg, there was some more blood throughout the white in that side of the egg. I am mostly concerned because I sell the eggs, and if I miss them in candling I don't want to gross out or lose my customer. I would really like to know what is causing this and how to prevent it, if anyone happens to know? It is fairly hard to see while candling it, but I think I need to get a better candler, which would help too, but still it would be great to know the cause.

This is what I found here on BYC @TwilightHeart and Welcome to BYC

Common Yolk Quality Problems

1. Blood spots

Can range in severity from a small spot of blood on the yolk to about a spoonful of blood mixed with the egg contents. Egg yolks form and mature in the hen's ovary and sometimes when the mature yolk is released it may rupture a small blood vessel, the blood released will end up being encased in the shell, along with the rest of the egg contents. Causes of this can be:

- Incorrect levels of vitamins A and K in the hen's diet;

- Administration of the drug sulphaquinoxaline;

- Large amounts of lucerne meal in the layers' diet;

- Feeding stale, wet or mouldy feed;

- Continuous lighting in the coop;

- Frights, stress and disturbances.

Thanks, that does look about the same. I will most likely look into what food might be better for them and give it a try, maybe they're missing a vitamin or something, since none of the other causes seem like the reason.

Thanks, that does look about the same. I will most likely look into what food might be better for them and give it a try, maybe they're missing a vitamin or something, since none of the other causes seem like the reason.
I hope you can find the cause. Especially when selling eggs we don't want customers to open and egg and find blood. Hopefully changing feed will be an easy enough fix.

This is what I found here on BYC @TwilightHeart and Welcome to BYC

Common Yolk Quality Problems

1. Blood spots

Can range in severity from a small spot of blood on the yolk to about a spoonful of blood mixed with the egg contents. Egg yolks form and mature in the hen's ovary and sometimes when the mature yolk is released it may rupture a small blood vessel, the blood released will end up being encased in the shell, along with the rest of the egg contents. Causes of this can be:

- Incorrect levels of vitamins A and K in the hen's diet;

- Administration of the drug sulphaquinoxaline;

- Large amounts of lucerne meal in the layers' diet;

- Feeding stale, wet or mouldy feed;

- Continuous lighting in the coop;

- Frights, stress and disturbances.
My situation is not like that. Out of 24 live hatchings two went horribly wrong. They were born about the same time. Both had trouble in the shell. I helped them both.
First one: looked alright, but after day 1 started to show signs of trouble. Not able to lift his head, staring at the ground, not showing signs of emotion, barely eating & not acknowledging anything or anybody.
2nd one: was born in a egg filled w/blood. After she came out had one wing gone & after a day protected her buddy from everyone. This is day four & first one is no better, but the 2nd one is going strong.

Does anyone have any ideas on what happened in the egg that would cause any of these problems?

Back
Top Bottom