Cause of death?

Coop-de-doop

Songster
Mar 14, 2023
I had a hen that just recently hatched chicks. She quit moving around as much, and even smashed 2 of them. We took the last 3 out and put them in a brooder, and the next morning she was lame and quickly disintegrating. I gave her nutra drench and water, she wouldn’t eat. She died sometime last night. It almost looks like maybe she had bits of a lash egg in her poo? I don’t know what happened. Does anyone have any idea by the looks of her last poo?

Attachments

• IMG_2873.jpeg
    IMG_2873.jpeg
    923.4 KB · Views: 56
I am sorry you lost her.

Did she get up daily from her nest to eat, poop and dust bath?
Some broodies fall into a deep trance and don't get up and out to feed and drink and consecutively starve themselves to such an extent that they will be too weak to care for their chicks and die shortly after hatch.

Another reason could be poultry mites. They love to feast on a broody in trance and will leave her anemic to the point of dying.

Check the surviving chicks carefully as mites can kill them overnight.

I am sorry you lost her.

Did she get up daily from her nest to eat, poop and dust bath?
Some broodies fall into a deep trance and don't get up and out to feed and drink and consecutively starve themselves to such an extent that they will be too weak to care for their chicks and die shortly after hatch.

Another reason could be poultry mites. They love to feast on a broody in trance and will leave her anemic to the point of dying.

Check the surviving chicks carefully as mites can kill them overnight.
I will check them!

I'm really sorry about your broody hen. In addition to possible reasons for her death already mentioned, how hot has it been where you are? A broody can become severely dehydrated during extreme summer heat, since she usually only leaves her eggs once each day to eat and drink.

I'm really sorry about your broody hen. In addition to possible reasons for her death already mentioned, how hot has it been where you are? A broody can become severely dehydrated during extreme summer heat, since she usually only leaves her eggs once each day to eat and drink.
It’s been in the 90’s, but the chicks are a week old. She’s had them out and was teaching them to eat.
Today I took everything out of the coop and sprayed it down inside and out with permethrin. A couple other hens seem droopy, but are eating. Could it have been mites?

It’s been in the 90’s, but the chicks are a week old. She’s had them out and was teaching them to eat.
Today I took everything out of the coop and sprayed it down inside and out with permethrin. A couple other hens seem droopy, but are eating. Could it have been mites?
Do you have her body still to examine? They would likely have left lots of little mite poo on her. Have you examined the chicks?

Back
Top Bottom