**Caution! Gruesome kill question?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by smith2, Nov 1, 2008.

1. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I hate to ask this, but I really want to dispatch my meat chickens as painlessly and quickly as possible. I have a hip problem so I lay the bird on the ground, place a stick on its neck, put my feet on the stick and dislocate the neck. In about 15 seconds I just go ahead and remove the head to bleed the bird. I then put the birds down in the holes of stacked cement blocks to bleed them. Is this method humane? It seems to work the best for me and creates less mess than anything else I have tried. Anyone else have any information about this method or advice about better ways to do the actual killing?:|

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I have actually seen a video of this type of kill being done. I see nothing inhumane about it. You do the kill that suits you. My husband is going to shoot them in the head with a BB gun and let them die before I cut off the head. This way is easiest for me.

3. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Ive dispatched chickens in a similar fashion because Im not strong enough to break their neck with my hands. Ive tried a number of different methods and frankly, Im not sure which is the most humane.

Being quick and not overly stressing the bird is probably the most important point, regardless of how it is done.

Chel

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    the quickest manner & causing the least amount of stress, pain and fear for the animal is the most humane way to end an animal's life.

If it is quick and best for you, then use that method.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Should be fine. Quick is what you're gong for and that's quick. If dispatching rodents, the method you are using is called cervical dislocation and is approved by animal care use committees as the best way to do it. And these are the animal care committees that require specific protocols and pain killers for things like fish...

6. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    Quote:Thanks guys for your responses. Chel, I am not strong enought to break their necks with my hands either, especially some of the large roos that I have raised. I just want to be quick and humane. Killing anything for me is hard enough, and I just don't want to prolong the process. Thanks.

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Quote:This is an interesting idea! Do you do this to keep them from flapping, like in a killing cone? Or is this just to hold them in an upside down position in order to allow gravity to bleed them out? Do the blocks hose off fairly clean, or does it matter to you?

I know some folks think this is a gruesome subject to discuss, but I think it's essential. And it does lead to more kind treatment of our meat birds while they're meeting their destinies, while also making our task so much easier.

8. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    The only other way it could be quicker or less painful (I think) is if you separated the head entirely; which can be done using the modified "broom stick" method. Instead of a round stick, get a piece of 2"x2" wood, the square edges are important. When you put the bird on the ground make sure the square edge is right up against the back of the birds skull. Then step on the stick, one foot on each side of the stick. When you step on the stick make sure the bird's head is facing behind you, then quickly reach down, grab the birds feet and jerk up real hard. If you do it right, the bird will be decapitated instantly.

Also if you hang the bird upside down for a couple minutes before you do this, the bird will relax making it all a bit easier.

9. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I used to remove the head, however I bought a book on Capons years ago that showed a method I have used ever since. I like it for the humane issue as well as the fact they don't flap blood all around.

The method is to put a sharp knife in the mouth, and up into the brain. This instantly kills the bird. Then you can slit the throat and bleed it after a few mins when it won't flap.

The knife is also good for those of us with bad backs, you don't have to bend over, or pull.

10. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    I tried to pith a bird once and concluded I need to be shown how to do it properly. It was not what I would call humane. Since then, I've done the throat on four birds. Not as quick as I'd like but I know I need a sharper knife. Next time I'll try the hatchet. And hiring a processor. [​IMG]

For the record, I've got four bad discs. Not fun [​IMG] I don't htink I'm strong enough to do it your way though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by