Cayenne - how often, how much?

comp6512

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2008
I am guilty. I fed my 1.5 wk old chicks an earthworm from the garden. OK, make it three worms..
lol.png

Now I am paranoid that they will get worms.

I read here on BYC that some people feed cayenne as a preventative to the hens. But to 1.5wk olds? OK? Safe? How often, how much?

BTW, it is priceless to watch them making a riot around the whole brooder running around and making little chicken football with that worm.
wee.gif

I wasn't aware plain 'ol earthworms were a no-no. I assume you mean parasitic worms? Which are different from garden variety worms.

The only negative I've heard about feeding earthworms (or other bugs) at a really young age is that their system might not be ready for it (because the bugs may carry "bugs" of their own...the kind that causes illness), and might not be able to fight it. But I think a lot of people (me included) have snuck in a treat or two to their babies. Just be sure to sprinkle a little fine grit over their feed. And make the treats the exception, not the rule.
I don't know about the pepper thing....hadn't heard that one. I've heard that pepper can keep animals out of the feed but doesn't affect birds????

Plain old ordinary earthworms MAY cause gapeworm in chickens. Not very common but it does happen. i add a thin layer of pepper over the feed every time I fill it. I gave it to the chicks when 2 weeks old, just makes me feel better whether it relly helps or not.

Back
Top Bottom