Cayenne in the hens feed to promote laying?

My grandpa had told my mother many years ago about the pepper. He said....get a 5 gallon bucket of whole corn...put in one can of red pepper, then cover the corn slightly with HOT water. Throw a towel over the bucket, and let it sit over night. The water will cause the corn to "pop open" And in doing so, will absorb the pepper. Feed this liberaly to your hens. Your egg production WILL increase. This is called...in my grandpa's words..." Burning the moult" I remember when My mother did this several years back....we had so many eggs...we couldnt GIVE them away.

Adding the cayenne is called 'burning the molt'. Some say it helps speed up a molt and bring hens back into laying. I have never seen much of a difference but some swear by it.

I had someone tell me to use pepper water on a young turkey who was feeling "out of sorts"..

I took away all of is water and mixed a 1/2 teaspoon of cayanne into 1 cup of water.. he immediately started drinking it like it was a chocolate malt.. He snapped back to his perky self in just a few hours.. coincidence? I don't know.. but I will do it again if need be..

black pepper might work also.. I don't know..

I don't think it has any real effect in the birds. It might make the egg taste a little different. Not sure. I have heard these things too.

This is something I have to try pepper
in my ladies feed ,as I use ACV in my ladies water.
I dont think the two should be mixed together
any advice?

Back
Top Bottom