Cayenne Pepper and Scaring Raccoons

Hopefully he found something easier somewhere else and lost interest. If not then You are on his nightly patrol and he will keep coming and testing the wire and latches until there are no more chickens, he gets run over, pushed out or killed by a more dominant animal, possibly one of your human neighbors. When it comes to "predator proof" pay extra attention to the corners and bottom two feet of the run. Coons like to circle till chickens run to a corner then reach out to grab them. And keep checking for damage, wire gets old and weaker over the years as they keep pulling on it and trying to find a way in.
What I find interesting is that with all of the video I have of them circling, only a couple times have I actually seen them get close enough to the wire to touch it. We do throw treats on the ground outside the coop for the girls, and it appears that they are digging around eating leftovers. As for the wiring, they can't reach in anywhere in the coop or in the run because of the 1/4" hardware cloth, which is over the top of 2x4" welded wire. Even the roof of the run is covered with that wiring, and I also have corrugated panels over that to keep the run dry. Given the predators we have here, I think only the black bears could get in.

I have never handled a gun before in my life, sorry! And alas, I am one of those people who can’t get themselves to kill anything bigger than a mosquito. I am working on making my coops predator proof, but for now I have to make due. Thank you for the advice though 🙂.
We bought ourselves a paintball gun, voice triggers, and arrows with soft tips. We also bought a pellet gun incase we actually trap one. Freezing paint balls and shooting them WILL sting.

At midnight yesterday I was looking out my window and I saw this big dark shape approach my turkey house. My heart stopped when I saw the silhouette of a fat raccoon sitting on their unscreened porch. I ran out and scared him away but spent the next two hours watching in case he came back. Since I needed to get to sleep I googled how to scare away a raccoon and one solution was to put cayenne pepper spray around the targeted area, which I did. Has anyone ever tried this and did you have any success? I cannot eradicate this raccoon because there’s plenty more to take his place. I just want to scare him badly enough where he won’t come back.

Coons can't get inside coops and runs reinforced with hardware cloth, can't cross electric fences and hate dogs. Cayenne pepper may work short term but rain washes it away.

Back
Top Bottom