cayuga duck thread

Pics

Xerxes the Persian King even though she's a she...
Had a case of bumble foot dad had to cure.

Help.
My poor Cyuga has been sitting for well over a month like a dutiful momma she babies and protects her nest only comes off once a day to eat potty and bath. Will hiss at anyone that comes to close. I candled her eggs about 2-3 weeks ago and they were about 20 to 25 days ish.
I finally took the chance and candled again yesterday and there has been absolutely no progress. One egg is missing I assumed that the one that was rolled away and consumed was for another ducks nest. I was wrong.
Either way she has not abandoned the nest or rolled any more away and won't come off but still once a day. I am not sure how to proceed the poor thing tried so hard.
1) what could have happened so far along? Could it have been the outside heat?
2) how to help her moving forward? Take them and remove her nest? Let her figure it out?
She is only a little over a year old this season her first try at it.

I would make a couple of visits to the nest with some high calorie nutrition, like sweet corn and peas with a few mealworms. Pick her up if possible to check her body condition - she may have lost some weight.

Go with your instincts - I might let her continue for a few more days, especially if I can get her to eat her special treats a couple of times a day to put on weight.

Sometimes people choose to remove the eggs and get her to give it up. Each duck is an individual in this regard. When Sechs went broody right after a prolapse (we got her to a vet for stitches and egg removal, then kept her in the dark), I let her be broody for a couple of months, but I was sure to feed her well, right there on the nest in addition to her twice daily runs to poop, swim, and eat.

My little tiny Buttercup as 14 eggs what are your thoughts or sending 2 or 3 to Daffy?
But the you make a good point with the food. She is a litter thinner.

My Caygua had a hard time of it the first time round. She didn't really know what to do, only 2 of the little ones survived and only because I scooped them up after they hatched. She would attack the hatching ducklings and fling them out (like "what the heck is up with my eggs, they used to be so quiet") but she had a second go round and hatched 12 healthy fuzzy little ducks, and not a single loss. She got quietest right when they were emerging, and it took a few days for all of them to hatch. I just kept bringing her bowls of fresh water, with healthy treats so she could drink and snack with out leaving her brood.

As a side note, does any one want some cayuga x pekin ducklings? Their mom is a worm charmer, so maybe they will be too.

Back
Top Bottom