Cayuga male or female

Sierra67

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
I have 4 cayuga ducks that are 10 weeks old. One of them has a curled tail feather and has for about 4-5 weeks now. The other 3 don’t, one of them has a white feather which only females are supposed to have, is there a way to tell that the other 2 are females as well for do I really have to wait until 12 weeks. They’re all siblings, all hatched the same day. I have a 1 year old drake as well they didn’t like the other known male but was fine with the other three is that a sign that the 2 others I’m asking about are females?

E595D67C-0467-4D31-9BDC-D8F5A764847A.jpeg
A91161F3-58E5-4A1E-B9DA-C0569BF6AE9A.jpeg
C9A877E1-5DF2-4FCA-85F7-601FAF32E8ED.jpeg

does this seem like a female? 10 weeks old

Hmm. That still sounds like it could go either way to me. I wouldn't be sure until you hear a definite QUACK or it's voice lowers into a rasp sound.
Sometimes a drake can sound like that when it's in between voice changing. But.. the white feather does usually indicate female so 🤞
I sure hope it and my 2 others are females I’ve already got 2 males and 1 known female so I need these 3 others to be females

If they sounded like that I’d already know, I just thought you were able to tell sooner than that point
I suppose people who have raised a lot of them might be able to make a real good guess before that point, but I sure can't.
There's always vent sexing..but I've tried that and been wrong too so it's not worth putting them through that for me. 💁🏻‍♀️

I suppose people who have raised a lot of them might be able to make a real good guess before that point, but I sure can't.
There's always vent sexing..but I've tried that and been wrong too so it's not worth putting them through that for me. 💁🏻‍♀️
I tried that as ducklings and got all males now they’re appearing to look female

I tried that as ducklings and got all males now they’re appearing to look female
Yeah.. vent sexing doesn't look like it should be that hard but I guess you need more experience with it than what I have to be sure. I've raised more call ducks than Cayuga. I can usually voice sex them by 5 or 6 weeks. The Cayugas take a lot longer for me to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom