cd&t and goats

reggiejr

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
maine
Hi everyone,
I have a question for fellow goat owners about the cd&t vaccine.
We have two Nigerian dwarf goats we've had for three years now and Ive given them their cd&t shots every year since we got them
and i was wondering if this is necessary to do every year?They don't ever leave our property and are in excellent health and they are wormed regularly.thanks

Probably a preference. I do mine yearly and was your initial 2ml and then 30 days later another 2ml. Then one dose of cdt (2ml) yearly.

Anytime I get new animals I keep them separate in quarantine for at min. of 30 days. If they are new to you do the above. You don't know what they have had or who you can trust these days. Better safe then sorry.

Good luck!

We gave our babies 2 boosters at 8 and 12 weeks, and plan to re-vaccinate yearly. CDT protects against tetanus and overeating disease. So it doesn't have anything to do with them being around other goats or not. But anyways, some people never vaccinate and some vaccinate more than twice a year. It's definitely up to you, but I would suggest you research it some. :)

If you are going to vaccinate then you need to start with an initial dose - give a booster in 3-4 weeks - then a booster every year.

Some folks do give boosters semi-annually but it's not entirely necessary. But an annual booster is necessary if you chose to vaccinate.

Do you need to vaccinate at all? That's something that you need to figure out for yourself. But you should be well aware of just what happens if a goat gets tetnus or overeating disease. It's a horrible way to die and one that can be easily prevented with a low cost vaccination.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
I want to keep my goats healthy so it sounds like the best thing is to keep up with their yearly boosters.
When i got them i did do the initial 2ml than another 2ml booster 30 days later.And last spring i did their annual 2ml.
So i will do them both this weekend to keep them up to date.Thanks again for the comments.

Back
Top Bottom