Cedar for chickens and ducks

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by knightie, Apr 8, 2012.

1. knightie

knightie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Okay, I have read in several places that you shouldn't use Cedar with chickens, but you can with ducks <at least that's what I'm remembering reading> yet I've run across several websites that are offering chicken coops and nest boxes made from cedar.... so..... is cedar okay for chickens and ducks or not? (my dad was going to give me some cedar to use for a few chicken projects but... I didn't think I could use it! I want to but is it safe?

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    i'm not 100 % sure i think building with cedar is ok i think its just the dust from cedar shavings that are the problem. I'd still check for a second opinion though.

3. minpinmama

minpinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    We have never used cedar for any animals, dogs, horses, chicks, etc.
    I'd stick with pine. Better safe than sorry.

4. AtholCoop

AtholCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
    There is nothing wrong with using cedar to actually construct the coop. Just don't use cedar shavings (and there is some division on this issue as well) as the bedding and you'll be fine.

This comes up often enough that I'm thinking I might write a sticky.

5. knightie

knightie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    I've used cedar (shavings as well as wood) for dogs, cats, horses, just about everything else. So I was wondering what the deal was using it with chickens ( several books recommend using cedar for ducklings so I wondered why you shouldn't use it with chickens)

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I use even the shavings... It does have health effects in a confined space if freshly cut. Those health effects that are the reason many do not use it are actually the reason others do use it. It effects small creatures more than big ones so that means its great for keeping bugs away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by