Cedar for chickens and ducks

knightie

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 1, 2012
Okay, I have read in several places that you shouldn't use Cedar with chickens, but you can with ducks <at least that's what I'm remembering reading> yet I've run across several websites that are offering chicken coops and nest boxes made from cedar.... so..... is cedar okay for chickens and ducks or not? (my dad was going to give me some cedar to use for a few chicken projects but... I didn't think I could use it! I want to but is it safe?

i'm not 100 % sure i think building with cedar is ok i think its just the dust from cedar shavings that are the problem. I'd still check for a second opinion though.

We have never used cedar for any animals, dogs, horses, chicks, etc.
I'd stick with pine. Better safe than sorry.

There is nothing wrong with using cedar to actually construct the coop. Just don't use cedar shavings (and there is some division on this issue as well) as the bedding and you'll be fine.

This comes up often enough that I'm thinking I might write a sticky.

I've used cedar (shavings as well as wood) for dogs, cats, horses, just about everything else. So I was wondering what the deal was using it with chickens ( several books recommend using cedar for ducklings so I wondered why you shouldn't use it with chickens)

I use even the shavings... It does have health effects in a confined space if freshly cut. Those health effects that are the reason many do not use it are actually the reason others do use it. It effects small creatures more than big ones so that means its great for keeping bugs away.

I do some wood working myself(nothing too crazy jsut enough to have been on th eback cover of just some random nati.. i mean global scale wood magazine) and heres what i can tell ya, pressure treated, chem treated of any kind, some reclaimed woods, most plywoods and the like such has chip board are gonna pose a problem to most animals and even humans given the kinda circumstances most back yard poultry are in, Heat Lamps and Humidity. The combo of the two can actually "activte" a minute to moderate vaporous emmision of potionally toxic fume gas-off. this can cause cancers, tumors, and even some cases of more sudden onset poisoning. SO if its been glued or stained chemically or treat/aletere in our humanistic extreme kinda messures then it can pose a possible issue. the reclaimed wood can also be a threat if it was not properly "reclaimed" and instead they kinda half-assed it (sorry) and forewent any proper sterilization and etc. this can lead to fungi or mold etc issues not too mention various sharp objects and potentional preexisting nests, hives, etc of insects, bacteria, gross stuff in general , rats and even an army of Greek Duck warriors hiding inside to attck your existing flock, idk.
lastly ducks forsure are not super good for oak, something bout it is toxic and cedar can be to all too. hell and saw dust can be from any tree, wood workers and any who breath it in should wear masks or have an air scrubber that can clean down to 5 micron. same for animals , they are our loved ones too so protect them too! i can tell more this was too long alreayd .. ojh cedars is good to build with so is redwood i thin .. cause these are a type of wood tht is damn near impervious to mold imildew, also its like a natural bug be goone but DONT USE FOR CHICKS OR DUCKLINGS too sensitive and can cause serious harm

Back
Top Bottom