CEDAR mulch in our yard

chickadeedoodah

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
littleton co
posted this in another location too. Sorry but I am really wanting to know this and it doesn't really fit neatly in a subjuect.
We have cedar mulch in our kids play area--Not in the coop or run. We are new chicken owners and I have read on the forum that cedar can be deadly to chickens. Ours are still babies but I would like to be able to let them out in our yard in the suburbs (with supervision) but am worried about the cedar. Does anyone know if I will need to get rid of this or if I could just try to keep them out of that area?
Will they eat it? How is it bad for them?
thanks!!

We sure are learning alot from this website--thanks so much!!!

I do know that you should not put cedar chips in with baby chicks. I am not sure about the adult birds, but I would probably not have the cedar if I were going to free range the chickens everywhere, but if they don't have access to the play area you should be safe. Our chickens have total run being we have our entire property fenced in with a gate to enter the property.

From what I understand, it's the fumes from the oil in the wood that harms and can kill them. However, as long as it's out in the open with lots oif fresh air mixed in, not to mention it's been weathered and a lot of the oil is probably gone or lessened..... I would think they would be fine. However, I am no expert, hopefully someone who has actually dealt with this will have a better answer for you.

Last summer my husband had cedar chips in the box and I came home from work, he had put the chicks in and I smelled the cedar when I came in, saw the bag, and looked in the box adn the chicks were running around in circles, peeping loudly..the were frantic! I got them all out, dumped the chips and put them in a new clean box till I got new bedding! He bought the wrong stuff, and he just thought bedding was bedding!
He always checks the bags first now!

Thanks all, I was freaking out thinking "great now the poor chickens won't be able to be in our yard".
Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem then since it is nowhere near their coop and run.

Yes, I agree, having the cedar shavings out in the open should not be a problem. It is only when they are in their coop and have to breathe it heavy all the time. I think your cheeps will be fine. I would not worry. Have fun!!!

I personally would keep the chickens out of the kids play area altogether. You don't want you kids playing around in the mulch after theChickens have been in there. You probably need to fence off the play area from the chickens, just to be safe.

I see kids all the time playing with dirty things and then putting their fingers in their mouths so, be safe.

Back
Top Bottom