Cedar Shavings Harmful?

CHIC

Songster
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
Roanoke
I read in a book to put cedar in the coop to absorb moisture and keep the smell down. I just did it a few days ago and I just read a post that said it will kill them! Im very concerned because my pullets have been acting funny and one of them has been sick... Somebody clear this up for me PLEASE!

Quote:
Yes cedar shavings are considered harmful d/t the gasses they give off. The smell we like so much can hurt chickens. I'd switch out to pine or aspen ASAP. Good luck

Imp

I can't believe they actually put that in a chicken book! It was a book written by an author about raising backyard chickens. I guess she's not an expert. Wow that stinks... Do you know what the symptoms would be?

Quote:
Yeah that stinks. Come here for better advice. Lots of good people on BYC. I don't know this first hand, but the problems are neurological. Think "being gassed" so acting funny could be a symptom. There have been a few people post thay said they've used cedar shaving w/o problem, and it is generally considered OK to use cedar lumber in the coop. The problem seems to be fresh smelly cedar shavings that outgas the natural oils in the wood. Be sure to ventilate the coop well when you remove the cedar.

Imp

Dang people get defensive sometimes... lol... I just put a small amount in the henhouse and the run( enough to barely cover the floor) and then about 8 inches of straw on top of that. The very next day, my cockeral started looking lazy so I was a little worried. By the time I checked on him in the afternoon, he couldn't move, it was like he was paralyzed. I quickly brought him into the house and he should improvement within an hour. In two days time he was back to normal. I put him back out there this morning. I noticed two of my pullets acting strange like he did at first. Guess I'm heading out to clean out the coop.

Hah, this is the story of my life lately.... I put "some cedar" in my run and hen house after reading in a CHICKEN BOOK that its a good way to keep mites away.... this was along with pine shavings because I could have sworn that I read on BYC that all bedding being cedar is bad. Then I read on BYC that any amount is bad so I cleaned it out of the hen house (but left it in the run) because its a small enclosed area. Then my friend who is a home inspector pointed out to me that homes made of Cedar are healthy and desirable (mine) and that my Cedar trees along with everything else nature provides that has a pungent smell arent killing any of the small animals that exist in them, etc etc. so I put another handfull back in the hen house. Then I read on BYC it is bad and took it out again. NO JOKE.... As of recent I'm just well aware that there is a Cedar debate on BYC... LOL! Oh sheeze, I hope I didnt just start it up again... back, back, I'm not saying either way.....

Yup, Lots of things get heated here. 30,000 members with 30,001 opinions. LOL. I stay out of it by using shredded newspaper. Hope your chickens are doing well CHIC.
Unemployed... I'm just down the road from you in Renton.

frow.gif

Imp/Russ- Oh no I just read the soy ink newsprint kills chickens.

Taking a giant eraser out to the coop.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom