cedar shavings in my coupe

let me explain in detail i cleaned and sanitized the coupe and removed the cedar my 2 hens ive had for 6 months and are fine i got my new chickens from the same lady i always buy from she is very professional with 600 plus chickens on her property all professional.....the birds i am going to intermingal are all from the same flock just adding them at different times...they are guaranteed disease free so i odnt see any problems with introducing them tomorrow.

I have looked and looked and can not find any evidence that cedar chips kill chickens. I have read it from folks who have heard that it kills chicks, but no real evidence. Does anyone know of a study that shows cedar is harmful to foul?

would stink if it isnt because it is a great bug repellent as was said in an earlier response i removed all of it and replaced with regular hay from my bosses ranch

I'm reading a book, "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" and they recommend cedar chips if you have mite problems. So, I would think they are fine.

Last edited:
man i wasted 50 pounds of cedar chips lol i was like omg its gonna hurt my chicks so i even got out the 16 horse rigid shop vac and sucked out all remaining chips from the coupe that i couldnt get with a broom or shovel lol
man oh man
lol.png

I raised my last chicks on cedar shavings (after the first week), and it's all I use in my nestboxes and hospital cage. I don't want any bugs in there! No bugs!

Sure, if the coop is too tight, the oil could cause problems. But they'll also get sick from their own poop and respiration if there's not enough ventilation. I might hesitate to use all cedar shavings if I was in a climate where the coop has to be buttoned up tight all winter, but I'd still probably mix some in for bug repellent.

the coupe had em for a year in it so i bet the oils soaked into the wood it is not airtight but can be if needed i got 2 large doors and made sure the ventilation is good i would post a pic but i havent figured out how to do that on here yet appears to me you have to use html and im no genious on that stuff lol

Back
Top Bottom