cedar siding

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lovinlife, Jul 14, 2010.

1. lovinlife

lovinlife Songster

I have been keeping my chickens in a 10'x20' chain link dog run for about 4 years. We have mild winters in central Texas, so they don't really need an enclosed coop. They've gotten along just fine with a tarp over one corner of the run to provide shelter from the elements. I just don't like how it looks, so I'd like to build a 3-sided shed to serve the same purpose.

There is a mill near us that processes cedar trees and makes boards with the bark still on the edges. It looks really cool, especially when it ages and turns gray. Since the shed will only be 3-sided, do you think there will be any issues with the cedar smell for the chickens? I'm assuming the open side will provide enough ventilation that it won't cause a problem, but I wanted to get opinions on using the cedar.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but this would be local Texas cedar, also called Juniper.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Cedar as a building material is OK.
    It's the large amount of surface area on shavings that outgases the oils in cedar which may cause respiratory problems.
    I have no idea about the cedar/juniper question. Ask at the mill if it is true cedar.

Good luck and post a picture when you are done.

Imp

3. lovinlife

lovinlife Songster

Thanks for the input. I was thinking it would be okay, but I wanted to see what others thought.

I'll definitely post a pic when it's done. I have a dream in my head of what it will look like, we'll see if it becomes reality. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by