1. Jerschicks

Jerschicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    North Pole, Alaska
    Hi all. I have an opportunity to get a small garden shed that is being built by my local high school construction class. I am planning on using this for my meat bird coop. The only concern i have is that it has cedar siding on it. I know it has been discussed ad nauseum here about cedar shavings being bad for chickens litter, but i haven't seen anything about coop siding being cedar. Is this a no no or not. Any opinions or suggestions on the matter would be appreciated.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Cedar is not the only wood that can be quite aromatic, including pine, and there is more than one variety of cedar. Any of them can be irritating to chickens' respiratory system. It is a matter of degree. There are people on here who have kept chickens for 40 or 50 years and use cedar shavings as part of their litter for odor and bug control. I used some leftover cedar shavings, myself, but my coop is very open air so there was no "pooling" of cedar fumes. It did not smell like cedar in there, mixed in with the older pine shavings and the hay. If the siding is outside and it doesn't smell like cedar inside, I would go for it. It's a judgment call.

3. Themehmeh

Themehmeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Texas
    We used cedar pickets for fencing to make the sides of our first coop. It worked out fine. Just make sure the wood isn't too sappy or aromatic.

4. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana

Cedar is an excellent building material wood. It is lightweight, strong, and has good rot resistant and insect resistant properties. Cedar will cost more than say pine so it is an upgrade material. It will have a short term aroma but it is not harmful. Cedar shavings have a strong aroma that many claim can cause respiratory irritations for the birds.

We use cedar for our fence posts and gates here on the farm due to its excellent properties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by