Cedar stump for perch

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rbruno, Oct 20, 2015.

1. rbruno

rbruno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    A friend of mine gave me 4 cedar log billets that are about 18 inches tall. I was going to sit a large tree branch across two of them to make an easy perch for my chickens. In recent post on what to put in a coop, cedar came up as something that might not be healthy for the chickens. I think the discussion was more about flooring and types of wood chips to put down. Does anyone see a health issue of using a chunk of a cedar tree to sit a branch on for a perch?
    Rob

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I have several cedar stumps in my pens and have had no issues. The problem with cedar is the shavings, which have an aromatic oil that can be irritating to the respiratory system. Hope that helps.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

Not all types of cedar are the real aromatic variety.....and it makes big difference if they are shavings or lumber/logs.

4. rbruno

rbruno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    Thanks. That does help. I think most of the discussion before was the wood chips. Just wanted to check to see if anyone has had an issue with the stumps before I put it in my coop/run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by