Cedar ?

"The cedar shavings you buy in the store will most likely be Redcedar and not Cedar. Do not use this for bedding material."

Most confusing, you're talking about two different cedars, & then reference only one not to use...please, clarify...

We use custom cut red cedar for the frames and roost poles in all of our pens. This is local harvest and locally cut at a private saw mill. We have absolutley no issues with this and it may even help prevent some parasite infestations as the bugs do not seem to like the red cedar. However we do not use any red cedar for bedding or nesting materials.

i am just tagging on this topic as far as bedding material--i get it that the cedar chips are not good, so we have been using soft cloths over OSB board for our little chicks--we wash those out and exchange them twice a day--now that they are growing by leaps and bounds--what other materials are safe? wood chips, straw, hay, grass, newspaper? thx for any advice!

Quote:
I am saying the bags in the store marked "Cedar" are probably red cedar. Which goes back to my reference of marketing depts.

Cedar has a reputation of having good rot resistance, so you call your bedding, mulch, etc "Cedar", even though it is Redcedar.

Quote:
I use regular white pine shavings in my brooder and in my chicken houses. Most places I've seen it (Southern States and Walmart) sell it in 25 lb. bags for around $6.

Quote:
I use regular white pine shavings in my brooder and in my chicken houses. Most places I've seen it (Southern States and Walmart) sell it in 25 lb. bags for around $6.

x2

Pine shavings are my favorite bedding for our critters. I like the big shavings like are used for horse stalls. The small shavings tend to have more dust and make more of a mess.

Well all the wood is in the garage and it smells like a cedar factory in there. Thanks for the replys once again and will let you know if anything happens to the girls.

Back
Top Bottom